Ben Affleck Makes Announcement Regarding Potential Massachusetts Senate Candidacy
Those hoping to see Hollywood actor and director Ben Affleck replace Secretary of State nominee John Kerry in the U.S. Senate will not be getting their Christmas wish. The Argo director and Daredevil actor posted a message on his official Facebook page Monday announcing that he will not be running for office.
“I love Massachusetts and our political process, but I am not running for office. Right now it’s a privilege to spend my time working with Eastern Congo Initiative (ECI), supporting our veterans, drawing attention to the great many who go hungry in the U.S. everyday and using filmmaking to entertain and foster discussion about issues like our relationship to Iran.
We are about to get a great Secretary of State and there are some phenomenal candidates in Massachusetts for his Senate seat. I look forward to an amazing campaign.
Happy Holidays to All.
After President Obama announced late last week that he will be replacing Secretary of State Hillary Clinton with the Senior Massachusetts Senator from Massachusetts, speculation began immediately for who will run in a special election early next session to finish Kerry’s term. Despite having a long history of Democrat representation in Washington and a deep bench of high profile progressive politicians, the Bay State elected Republican Scott Brown in a January 2010 special election to replace the late Ted Kennedy. After lossing a close reelection against Democrat Elizabeth Warren last month, political observers have speculated that Brown has strong potential to still win his way back into the Senate next session if he were to run for Kerry’s old seat. After the 2008 success of now Senator Al Franken in Minnesota, and heavy speculation regarding Kentuckian Ashley Judd running for Senate in 2014, rumors spread that Democrats were once again looking to Hollywood for representation in Washington with outspoken Democratic supporter and Bay State native Ben Affleck.
With Affleck now taking himself out of the running, potential Democratic candidates mentioned interested in replacing Kerry include 2010 Brown challenger Martha Coakley, and members of the state’s Congressional delegation such as Reps. Mike Capuano, Nikki Tsongas, and Stephen Lynch.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 441 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 422 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 404 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 320 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 162 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 134 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 125 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 242 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 264 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 115 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Octogenarians race to be oldest Everest climber
- Emails show AEG lawyer called Jackson a 'freak'
- FBI: Arrest made in Wash. ricin letter scare
- Talk of lies, pride as Trump case goes to jury
- Flooding forces evacuation of 1,300 in ND town
- AP Source: Coach K returning to US men's team
- 3rd grader who loved to sing among tornado victims
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes