Chaplain Axed From Luxury Car Plant Just Before Christmas to Avoid Offending Non-Christian Workers
Just days before Christmas, the Rev. Francis Cooke, 46, a chaplain at Bentley, the luxury car company, was laid off from his position as a faith leader and counselor. A local plant, which allowed the Christian pastor to counsel and speak with staffers for the past decade, purportedly told Cooke that his continued presence might offend non-Christians.
Cooke, who is dismissing the decision to let him go as “ridiculous,” was allegedly told that there were too many religions represented at the company to allow his presence to continue. Prior to being axed, he would regularly visit a factory in Crewe, Cheshire (England), one day per week for six hours. Additionally, he wrote a message for the company’s newsletter and ran a Christian course.
“It is just beyond belief,” the faith leader said of his dismissal. “The reason I have been given is that there are too many people of different faiths to warrant a Christian chaplain.”
Cooke noted that there have been no complaints against him and that his position was intended to help all individuals working at the location, not only Christians. He cited helping people in need of counseling — something that he cited as beyond the realm of faith and religion.
Rather than serving as a volunteer as some chaplains traditionally do, Cooke was paid directly by the company, with funds being sent to the Diocese of Chester in the United Kingdom and then doled out to him. Despite other roles, the faith leader claims that this was his only paid job — making the pre-Christmas dismissal that much more painful.
And while Bentley cited staff fears in offending non-Christians, it seems some workers have assembled in the wake of Cooke’s dismissal in a concerted effort to bring the chaplain back. However, the company appears to be doubling down on its stance.
According to the Daily Mail, a Bentley Motors spokesperson called the decision to let Cooke go an opportunity to reassess the diverse faith needs and views of those working at the company.
“We have a wide range of faiths and want to take a multi-faith outlook. It would be very difficult to have somebody from each faith,” the spokesman said. “This now gives us the opportunity to look at this and recognize the range of faiths we have here.”
(H/T: Daily Mail)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,030 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 434 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 249 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 135 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Spurs blow late lead, beat Grizzlies 93-89 in OT
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings
- Portland, Ore., rejecting water fluoridation
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Straily, Cespedes push A's past Rangers 1-0
- Apple case seen as possible spur to tax action
- Bernanke testimony to be studied for policy clues