700th Issue of ‘Amazing Spider-Man’ Comic Reveals ‘Epic Turn’ for Peter Parker — Some Fans Are Upset
Editor’s Note: Spoiler alert of story line below.
PHILADELPHIA (TheBlaze/AP) — After 50 years of spinning webs and catching a who’s who of criminals, Peter Parker is out of the hero game.
The 700th – and final – issue was released Wednesday, and title editor Stephen Wacker says “The Amazing Spider-Man” series ends with a defining death and birth meshed among the Spidey mythos. Wacker said the teen from Queens has been put in every possible situation, except this ultimate one.
Dan Slott, who’s been writing the Marvel Comics character for the better part of the last 100 issues, calls it “an epic turn.”
CNN reported that fans have mixed reactions, many not pleasant, about the fate of Parker:
When issue #700 was leaked early, fan reaction — both positive and negative — went into overdrive, with a few posted death threats directed at the issue’s writer, Dan Slott.
Slott reacted on his Twitter and Facebook by saying he would report any threats: “Reality check: There is NO such thing as a ‘funny death threat.’ Especially if you TAG someone in it.”
Here are a few of saddened fans’ tweets:
While Parker’s fate is sealed, Spider-Man’s is not. His adventures will continue with next month’s “Superior Spider-Man.” But the man behind the mask is … Otto Octavius aka Doctor Octopus. In fact, CNN reported more specifically that the combination of Otto’s intelligence, Parker’s memories and Spider-Man’s powers will make an “uber-Spider-Man.”
Still, as for the end of Peter Parker, Comic Book’s Russ Burlingame blogged, “even if this particular story is only now entering its second act, and doing so with a new first issue–it’s still not a worthy finale for a character like Peter. And there’s no way to get around it–that’s sloppy.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 590 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 390 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 321 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 275 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 151 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4