‘Will We Ever See Her Before She Leaves Office?’ Clinton Missing From Events and Still No Health Status Update
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has been recovering from a stomach virus for the last couple weeks, missing a few key events in the process. Her absence and lack of a status update continues to be noted.
Clinton fell ill shortly after returning from Czech Republic, Belgium, Ireland and Northern Ireland on Dec. 7. It was on Dec. 15 that deputy assistant secretary Philippe Reines released a formal statement saying Clinton was going to work from home last week as she recovering from the virus, which left her dehydrated. The statement also said Clinton had fainted and sustained a concussion.
“She has been recovering at home and will continue to be monitored regularly by her doctors. At their recommendation, she will continue to work from home next week, staying in regular contact with Department and other officials. She is looking forward to being back in the office soon,” Reines said.
In working from home, The Weekly Standard pointed out in a recent post about the Secretary of State’s absence titled “Where’s Hillary?”, she missed a couple key events, like the December 19 State Department holiday party and the December 20 Benghazi hearing.
President Barack Obama took note of Clinton’s absence at the party:
“I was going to congratulate her on her record-breaking travel,” President Obama said, noting her absence. “These are not frequent-flyer miles,” he joked. “She is tireless and extraordinary.”
Obama announced the next day that Sen. John Kerry would be nominated for the position of Secretary of State. Obama said again that Clinton wished she could attend this Dec. 21 announcement but that she “could not be more excited about [it].”
Daniel Halper for The Weekly Standard goes on to pose these questions:
So, what’s Hillary Clinton’s status? Her situation is serious enough to sideline her for two weeks, but we still don’t know what’s going on. How serious is it? Does it prevent her carrying out the secretary of state duties?
And later, Halper asks this one: “The question is, where’s Hillary and will we even see her before she leaves office?”
Then Jonathan Easley from The Hill tweeted a bit of criticism about this post:
To be fair, Halper’s post is on The Weekly Standard’s blog, so he can easily pose these questions without asking the State Department if he so wished.
TheBlaze did reach out to the department about Clinton’s health. We have yet to hear back but will update this post if and when we do.
- Allen West Blasts Hillary for Not Testifying: ‘She Caught the Benghazi Flu’
- Charles Krauthammer: Hillary Clinton ‘Seems to Have a Severe Benghazi Allergy’
(H/T: Drudge Report)
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 469 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 447 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 417 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 331 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
- UK police: 2 men arrested after flight from Pakistan to England diverted
- China, Switzerland to seal free trade deal
- Q&A: On Turkey's proposed alcohol restrictions
- UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
- Uganda president ousts army boss amid dispute