Mich. Mayor Called Bow Hunters ‘Predators’ for Killing Deer, Wants Judge to ‘Inflict the Maximum Fine’ and Jail Time
Two men who allegedly killed a deer in the city of Warren, Mich., with a bow and arrow are coming under fire from the mayor who hopes to see them put behind bars.
The Detroit Free Press reported Myles Ehret, 19, and William Francis, 27, have been charged with animal cruelty, a felony with a maximum sentence of four years in prison. In Warren hunting is illegal.
Mayor Jim Fouts said in a statement obtained by the Free Press he hopes authorities “inflict the maximum fine, and when these predators are on trial, I will be sitting in the courtroom to be certain they pay for their crimes” and he noted probation was “not [a] satisfactory” option.
“I consider deer in our city a domesticated animal because their tameness and the joy they bring to observers, especially children,” Fouts said in the statement.
As for the situation surrounding the slain deer, police said witnesses reported seeing the men loading a deer into a U-Haul on December 21. Providing license plate information to the authorities, the police located where the suspects’ car was located at the rental facility and saw inside it hunting items like a compound bow, pop-up blind and loose corn, according to the Free Press. The police impounded the car and waited for the suspects to turn up.
When the men didn’t see their car at the U-Haul, they left but police stopped them in the truck and noted they were wearing hunting gear, had blood on their hands and saw blood in the back of the truck.
The local CBS Local in Detroit reported that authorities later found a five-point buck at Francis’ residence.
According to the Free Press, police said they believe the men knew hunting in that area was illegal, which is why they didn’t verify and tag the dear. Francis did have the proper hunting license.
The men are currently free on $10,000 bond.
- Hunter Legally Shoots Rare White Deer in Wisc. — So Why Are the Locals Calling it a ‘Moral Issue’?
- Silencers for Hunting? Debate Moves Into Wyoming
- Montana Bans Wolf Hunting Near Yellowstone After ‘Famous’ Wolf Killed Legally by Hunters
- Why Are the Hunting Images of WVU’s Mountaineer Mascot Shooting a Black Bear Causing a Stir
Featured image via Shutterstock.com.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 478 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 397 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 339 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 330 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 284 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 199 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 144 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 109 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Man who kidnapped 2 Iowa girls had long record
- Arias jury deadlocked but must continue
- Kerry: US, allies, ready to step up aid rebels
- Fiat Industrial aims to shift tax home to Britain
- Jurors in Jodi Arias case say they're unable to reach decision; judge sends them back
- Flooding forces evacuation of 1,300 in ND town
- Attorney: Donald Trump lied on stand
- Fed weighed slowing its pace of bond purchases