MSNBC’s Touré: ‘I Have a Right to Know…Who Has a Gun and Who Doesn’t’
A weekly publication in New York, The Journal News, has come under fire for publishing the names and addresses of pistol permit holders in two New York counties. On Thursday, the publication got some help from a couple of MSNBC hosts who defended the paper’s actions.
During Thursday’s edition of “The Cycle,” co-host Touré argued that he has every right to know the identity of every gun owner around him.
“I have a right to know, I think, to know who has a gun and who doesn’t,” Touré said. “Maybe I don’t want to go there, maybe I don’t want my kids going there.”
He went on to claim that guns are far more likely to be used against friends and family than against home intruders.
“We treat guns as a private choice, but they are really a public matter in that having a gun impacts the local community, the national community,” Touré explained, adding that firearms are the leading cause of death in nearly every age category.
“They’re not sex offenders,” co-host Krystal Ball chimed in.
Watch the clip via MSNBC/Mediaite below:
Fellow co-host Steve Kornacki agreed with Touré, saying “I would like to know, if I was moving out to the suburbs with my family, I’d like to know if a neighbor had stockpiled weapons like Nancy Lanza had.” But Kornacki did say there was an ethical side of the argument when you are dealing with releasing people’s personal information and home addresses.
Kornacki also argued that America has made a “decision as a society” to make gun owners’ personal information publicly available.
Kornacki may have overstated his case as confidentiality law varies from state to state. Yes, it’s true that in New York, handgun permit holders’ information is available to the public. However, states like Texas consider concealed carry permit holders’ personal information confidential.
Either way, confidentiality law is not something that the United States made a “decision as a society” on, they are laws written and enacted by public officials.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,026 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 459 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 430 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 307 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 246 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 113 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 221 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 130 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Veteran DB Charles Woodson returns to Raiders
- Asia stocks rise as Fed official backs easy policy
- Singer Kellie Pickler named new 'Dancing' champ
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Garcia, Woods take their shots at each other
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Owner: Chinese boat's captain beaten by NKoreans