MSNBC’s Touré: ‘I Have a Right to Know…Who Has a Gun and Who Doesn’t’
A weekly publication in New York, The Journal News, has come under fire for publishing the names and addresses of pistol permit holders in two New York counties. On Thursday, the publication got some help from a couple of MSNBC hosts who defended the paper’s actions.
During Thursday’s edition of “The Cycle,” co-host Touré argued that he has every right to know the identity of every gun owner around him.
“I have a right to know, I think, to know who has a gun and who doesn’t,” Touré said. “Maybe I don’t want to go there, maybe I don’t want my kids going there.”
He went on to claim that guns are far more likely to be used against friends and family than against home intruders.
“We treat guns as a private choice, but they are really a public matter in that having a gun impacts the local community, the national community,” Touré explained, adding that firearms are the leading cause of death in nearly every age category.
“They’re not sex offenders,” co-host Krystal Ball chimed in.
Watch the clip via MSNBC/Mediaite below:
Fellow co-host Steve Kornacki agreed with Touré, saying “I would like to know, if I was moving out to the suburbs with my family, I’d like to know if a neighbor had stockpiled weapons like Nancy Lanza had.” But Kornacki did say there was an ethical side of the argument when you are dealing with releasing people’s personal information and home addresses.
Kornacki also argued that America has made a “decision as a society” to make gun owners’ personal information publicly available.
Kornacki may have overstated his case as confidentiality law varies from state to state. Yes, it’s true that in New York, handgun permit holders’ information is available to the public. However, states like Texas consider concealed carry permit holders’ personal information confidential.
Either way, confidentiality law is not something that the United States made a “decision as a society” on, they are laws written and enacted by public officials.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 390 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 335 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 117 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 211 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 111 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Berlusconi looms large in Rome mayor election
- Suicide bomber kills 3 in northwest Pakistan
- Nadal could get Djokovic in French Open semifinals
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- Williams to face Tatishvili in 1st round of French
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- 'No guarantee of peace,' NKorean envoy warns China
- Brewers team up on beer to help military families