This Green Veggie Could Prevent a New Year’s Day Hangover
Do you know what you’ll be eating before toasting with champagne this New Years Eve? If you’re looking to prevent a hangover, you might want to load up on one green veggie specifically: asparagus.
The fibrous vegetable was found in a recent study to have properties that might prevent, or at least alleviate, hangovers from alcohol consumption.
Science Daily reported on the study by researchers at the Institute of Medical Science and Jeju National University in Korea, who found asparagus shoots and leaves have amino acids and minerals that could counteract alcohol’s negative effects. They analyzed the impact these components had on human and rat liver cells, finding the leaves (the tip of the vegetable) have more of the beneficial compounds than the stalk.
“Cellular toxicities were significantly alleviated in response to treatment with the extracts of asparagus leaves and shoots,” lead researcher B.Y. Kim said in a statement. “These results provide evidence of how the biological functions of asparagus can help alleviate alcohol hangover and protect liver cells.”
Asparagus is also known to have anticancer effects, as well antifungal, anti-inflammatory and diuretic properties.
This research was published in the Journal of Food Science by the Institute of Food Technologists.
Featured image via Shutterstock.com.
(H/T: Popular Science)
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,020 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 455 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 425 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 307 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 228 Comments
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In Read More
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 206 Comments
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 124 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have No Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Lawyer: Feds investigating Susan Powell case
- Biden: Jewish leaders drove gay marriage changes
- FBI ID's Benghazi suspects _ but no arrests yet
- Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery again
- 10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- Canseco player-coach in indy league _ for a series
- Power of Moore tornado dwarfs Hiroshima bomb
- Cleveland Cavaliers win NBA Draft lottery and No. 1 overall pick