Lindsey Graham: Obama ‘Won’ Fiscal Cliff Deal, and ‘Hats Off’ to Him
Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) pre-emptively congratulated President Obama on his “victory” in the fiscal cliff debate Sunday, but said the success is “hollow” in terms of averting the various crises currently facing the nation.
He explained on Fox News Sunday:
“What have we accomplished? Political victory for the president. Hats off to the president– he stood his ground. He’s going to get tax rate increases– maybe not at [$250,000], but on upper-income Americans.
“And the sad news for the country is that we’ve accomplished very little in not becoming Greece, or getting out of debt. This deal won’t affect the debt situation. And it will be a political victory for the president, and I hope we have courage of our convictions when it comes to raise the debt ceiling to fight what we believe as Republicans. But hats off to the president; he won.”
On CNN, Graham elaborated on the president’s reported unwillingness to strike a deal, despite his repeated calls for bipartisanship and fairness.
“[President Obama] is really, quite frankly, small-minded in consequential times. I find him to be a hard guy to know and understand,” he stated.
But the bottom line, according to Graham, is getting a deal passed. If they don’t– and fast– a frightening number of taxes are set to increase and military spending will be slashed.
Graham would prefer to see the Bush-era tax rates extended for all Americans, he said, but will vote to avert the worst of the tax increases and spending cuts.
“I want to vote for it, even though I won’t like it, because the country has got a lot at stake here,” he concluded.
Watch the Fox News appearance, which also includes commentary from Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), via Mediaite:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 381 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 112 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 210 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 105 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Colonial member Palmer has 1st-round lead with 62
- Rangers top Bruins in OT, force Game 5 in Boston
- Blackhawks hope to rally from 3-1 series deficit
- Safe room mandates remain rare in tornado states
- Turkey passes bill restricting alcohol sales, ads
- Hurricane center: Beware of the storm surge
- Earthquake hits Russia's Far East
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys