No Deal: Fiscal Cliff Negotiations to Reconvene on New Year’s Eve With ‘Significant Distance’ to Bridge
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) announced Sunday that any potential deal to avert the impending “fiscal cliff” would come with only hours to spare.
Combative as ever, Reid said he was pleased to hear that Republicans had withdrawn their suggestions for modifying Social Security benefits– before saying the suggestion never should have been made.
Reid continued: “There’s still significant distance between the two sides, but negotiations continue. There’s still time left to reach an agreement, and we intend to continue negotiations.”
If the country heads over the “cliff” on January 1, a litany of taxes are set to increase and automatic budget cuts to the military will begin. Republicans don’t want to see tax hikes for any income group, while Democrats want to raise taxes on families making over $250,000 a year (or “millionaires and billionaires” as they are referred to in most speeches).
The Washington Post summarizes Sunday’s developments:
Negotiations hit an impasse this afternoon, with Democrats accusing Republicans of insisting on Social Security being part of a deal and Republican accusing Democrats of refusing to make a counteroffer.
“We all know that we’re running out of time,” Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) McConnell said, offering to work “through the night” if needed. “I’m willing to get this done, but I need a dance partner.”
While most were hopeful that Congress would make significant progress on Sunday, secondary provisions are already being made.
Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) has even introduced the “Cliff Alleviation at the Last Minute” (CALM) Act, described by the Washington Post:
The measure would phase in the looming tax increases over three years, rather than all at once, and allow the Office of Management and Budget to pick which programs would be cut rather than having the across-the-board cuts contained in sequestration.
“This is not a great plan, merely a better plan than going over the cliff,” Manchin said of the proposal. “It should never have come to this.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 453 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 362 Comments
- This Could Be the Most Haunting Statistic You’ll Ever See 275 Comments
- Group of Thugs Target Seemingly Defenseless Woman — They Had No Idea She Had Been Frequenting the Gun Range 262 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 169 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 102 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich 105 Comments
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 121 Comments
- ‘My Life Is Full of Blessings’: Flesh-Eating Bacteria Victim Who Lost All Limbs Smiles as She Shows Off New Bionic Hands Read More
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 134 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 2 rockets hit Lebanese Hezbollah stronghold
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; 200-plus rescued
- Kerry meets with runners from Boston Marathon
- Report: New controversy at scandal-scarred Rutgers
- Iran fields 'massive' number of missile launchers
- Search for pilot of NY Angel Flight resumes
- Suspected rebels kill 28, wound 24 in east India
- Cain stops Bigfoot in 1st round, defends UFC title