7 NFL Coaches, 5 GMs Out of Work After Brutal ‘Black Monday’
By lunchtime Monday, seven NFL coaches were looking for work. The coaches were joined by five NFL general managers.
One day after another dismal season ended with a loss in Pittsburgh, the Browns fired coach Pat Shurmur and general manager Tom Heckert, the first moves in an expected overhaul by new owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner.
Shurmur went 9-23 in his two seasons with the Browns, who will embark on yet another offseason of change – the only constant in more than a decade of futility. Cleveland has lost at least 11 games in each of the past five seasons and made the playoffs just once since returning to the NFL as an expansion team in 1999.
The Bears fired head coach Lovie Smith on Monday after the team missed the playoffs for the fifth time in six seasons. General manager Phil Emery delivered the news to Smith on the day after the Bears beat Detroit to finish 10-6 but still didn’t make the playoffs.
Andy Reid’s worst coaching season with the Philadelphia Eagles ended Monday after 14 years when he was fired by owner Jeffrey Lurie, who said it was time “to move in a new direction.”
The dismissal came one day after Reid and the Eagles were humiliated 42-7 by the New York Giants and ended their season at 4-12
Chan Gailey didn’t work out after three losing seasons, leaving the Buffalo Bills looking for their fifth head coach since 2001.
The Bills fired Gailey on Monday after he failed to deliver on his vow to transform a losing franchise into a playoff contender.
Gailey’s entire staff was fired, too, but the status of general manager Buddy Nix remained uncertain.
Kansas City Chiefs
The Kansas City Chiefs are doing more than looking for a new coach after firing Romeo Crennel on Monday. They’re changing the entire structure of the organization.
Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said in an interview with The Associated Press that he will hire the next head coach and that person will report directly to him. That’s a departure from the previous 53 years in Kansas City, where the head coach had always reported to the general manager.
The Arizona Cardinals fired head coach Ken Whisenhunt after the team lost 11 of its last 12 games. Rod Graves, the team’s general manager, was also let go.
San Diego Chargers
Finally, the San Diego Chargers parted ways with head coach Norv Turner and general manager A.J. Smith after the last game of the season.
The Jags fired general manager Gene Smith on Monday and head coach Mike Mularkey could go soon, too.
New York Jets
Though he also had a losing record, New York Jets coach Rex Ryan held onto his job while general manager Mike Tannenbaum was let go.
The Associated Press contributed to this report. Featured image via AP
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,000 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 439 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 394 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 293 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 162 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 194 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 102 Comments
- Experienced Heat, upstart Pacers ready to go
- Key senator to let Myanmar sanctions bill lapse
- Arias asks jury to give her life in prison
- Sorrentino, Bruni Tedeschi bring Italy to Cannes
- Correction: Missing Mom-Utah story
- Gay Fla. teen charged for underage girlfriend
- Car bomb, other attacks kill 20 in Iraq
- Top figures barred from Iran's June ballot