President Obama’s Bizarre & Widely Panned New Year’s Eve Presser on Fiscal Cliff
President Barack Obama during a bizarre last-minute presser Monday said that a “fiscal cliff” deal was “within sight” but that it was “not done.”
“Today it appears that an agreement to prevent this New Year’s tax hike is within sight, but it is not done,” said President Obama. “There are still issues left to resolve, but we’re hopeful that Congress can get it done, but it’s not done.”
But perhaps more notable than this claim was the president’s easygoing style and biting remarks directed towards Republican leaders:
Takes another swipe at Congress.
— Joseph Weisenthal (@TheStalwart) December 31, 2012
Obama takes an early victory lap: “Obviously the agreement that is being discussed would raise those rates, & raise them permanently.”
— Zeke Miller (@ZekeJMiller) December 31, 2012
Obama cracking jokes on Congress:”they will use that last second.”
— Jim Acosta (@jimacostacnn) December 31, 2012
See, if you’re on the cusp of a reaching an agreement with a difficult or disagreeable opponent, it’s probably best if you don’t haul off and mock, tease, and insult them on national television (language warning):
for someone who supposedly wants a deal, Obama sure is being a d**k for no apparent reason
— Conn Carroll (@conncarroll) December 31, 2012
But it seem that’s exactly what the president did.
“Seriously, this is a strange message,” National Review’s Jonah Goldberg tweeted. “Does his base really need to hear him tweak and tease the GOP? Or is this just self-indulgence?”
Indeed, considering the way he addressed GOP leaders (i.e. the people he needs to get a deal done), we’re genuinely confused with the president’s remarks. And we’re not alone. Twitter pretty much condemned the entire ordeal:
…Complete with cheap applause line. Nothing to see here folks. Click.
— Noah Rothman (@noah_c_rothman) December 31, 2012
The self-contradictions and falsehoods in this Obama talk are plentiful.
— Timothy P Carney (@TPCarney) December 31, 2012
Raise your hand if you’re weary of the human wallpaper the prez apparently needs to perform.Cocky today. #poorbabystayinginDC
— Laura Ingraham (@IngrahamAngle) December 31, 2012
Obama isn’t making it easier for R’s to vote for this deal. But WH probably thinks that if R’s kill it, they get all the fiscal cliff blame.
— Ezra Klein (@ezraklein) December 31, 2012
What is this? A roast?
— Andrew Kaczynski (@BuzzFeedAndrew) December 31, 2012
@rickklein he really doesnt get how badly this comes across
— Jennifer Rubin (@JRubinBlogger) December 31, 2012
As I’ve said all along, Obama isn’t about getting a deal done, he’s about vanquishing his opponents.
— Matt K. Lewis (@mattklewis) December 31, 2012
Is the president trying to kill any possible deal? What’s the point of attacking Rs at this point?
— Stephen Hayes (@stephenfhayes) December 31, 2012
WTH was that? Did R. Kelly write that screenplay?
— zerohedge (@zerohedge) December 31, 2012
No substance at all. And not even so much as a mention of the debt ceiling. I really could have done with a bit of leadership there.
— felix salmon (@felixsalmon) December 31, 2012
But maybe all that needs to be said about the presser comes from an aide to Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.):
CANTOR AIDE: ‘If Obama’s goal was to harm the process…he’s succeeding’ read.bi/TsLO01
— Politix (@bi_politics) December 31, 2012
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
This post has been updated.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,017 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 454 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 422 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 306 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 223 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 203 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 120 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have No Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Japan's trade deficit hits $8.6 billion in April
- Jodi Arias asks for life term; jury deliberates
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Court strikes down Arizona 20-week abortion ban
- Police defend officer who shot NY college student
- Senate Judiciary Committee approves landmark immigration bill offering citizenship to millions
- Man charged in death of missing Maine teenager
- Nick Jonas, Giuliana Rancic to host Miss USA