President Obama’s Bizarre & Widely Panned New Year’s Eve Presser on Fiscal Cliff
President Barack Obama during a bizarre last-minute presser Monday said that a “fiscal cliff” deal was “within sight” but that it was “not done.”
“Today it appears that an agreement to prevent this New Year’s tax hike is within sight, but it is not done,” said President Obama. “There are still issues left to resolve, but we’re hopeful that Congress can get it done, but it’s not done.”
But perhaps more notable than this claim was the president’s easygoing style and biting remarks directed towards Republican leaders:
Takes another swipe at Congress.
— Joseph Weisenthal (@TheStalwart) December 31, 2012
Obama takes an early victory lap: “Obviously the agreement that is being discussed would raise those rates, & raise them permanently.”
— Zeke Miller (@ZekeJMiller) December 31, 2012
Obama cracking jokes on Congress:”they will use that last second.”
— Jim Acosta (@jimacostacnn) December 31, 2012
See, if you’re on the cusp of a reaching an agreement with a difficult or disagreeable opponent, it’s probably best if you don’t haul off and mock, tease, and insult them on national television (language warning):
for someone who supposedly wants a deal, Obama sure is being a d**k for no apparent reason
— Conn Carroll (@conncarroll) December 31, 2012
But it seem that’s exactly what the president did.
“Seriously, this is a strange message,” National Review’s Jonah Goldberg tweeted. “Does his base really need to hear him tweak and tease the GOP? Or is this just self-indulgence?”
Indeed, considering the way he addressed GOP leaders (i.e. the people he needs to get a deal done), we’re genuinely confused with the president’s remarks. And we’re not alone. Twitter pretty much condemned the entire ordeal:
…Complete with cheap applause line. Nothing to see here folks. Click.
— Noah Rothman (@noah_c_rothman) December 31, 2012
The self-contradictions and falsehoods in this Obama talk are plentiful.
— Timothy P Carney (@TPCarney) December 31, 2012
Raise your hand if you’re weary of the human wallpaper the prez apparently needs to perform.Cocky today. #poorbabystayinginDC
— Laura Ingraham (@IngrahamAngle) December 31, 2012
Obama isn’t making it easier for R’s to vote for this deal. But WH probably thinks that if R’s kill it, they get all the fiscal cliff blame.
— Ezra Klein (@ezraklein) December 31, 2012
What is this? A roast?
— Andrew Kaczynski (@BuzzFeedAndrew) December 31, 2012
@rickklein he really doesnt get how badly this comes across
— Jennifer Rubin (@JRubinBlogger) December 31, 2012
As I’ve said all along, Obama isn’t about getting a deal done, he’s about vanquishing his opponents.
— Matt K. Lewis (@mattklewis) December 31, 2012
Is the president trying to kill any possible deal? What’s the point of attacking Rs at this point?
— Stephen Hayes (@stephenfhayes) December 31, 2012
WTH was that? Did R. Kelly write that screenplay?
— zerohedge (@zerohedge) December 31, 2012
No substance at all. And not even so much as a mention of the debt ceiling. I really could have done with a bit of leadership there.
— felix salmon (@felixsalmon) December 31, 2012
But maybe all that needs to be said about the presser comes from an aide to Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.):
CANTOR AIDE: ‘If Obama’s goal was to harm the process…he’s succeeding’ read.bi/TsLO01
— Politix (@bi_politics) December 31, 2012
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
This post has been updated.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 422 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 370 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 110 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 207 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 105 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- 5 climbers feared dead on world's 3rd highest peak
- Asia stocks extend losses after big sell-off
- 5 climbers missing on world's 3rd highest mountain
- Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash
- Actress Bynes arrested in NYC on marijuana charge
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapses in NW Wash