Angry Republican Rep. Peter King Tells New Yorkers Not to Give Money to GOP Following No Sandy Vote
Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) excoriated his own party Wednesday after House Republican leadership scrapped a vote on a Hurricane Sandy relief bill, calling on New Yorkers not to give a single penny to House GOP members.
“This is absolutely indefensible, this is inexcusable,” King said on Fox News. ”These Republicans have no problem finding New York when they’re out raising millions of dollars. They’re in New York all the time filling their pockets with money from New Yorkers. I’m saying right now, anyone from New York or New Jersey who contributes one penny to congressional Republicans is out of their minds. Because what they did last night was put a knife in the back of New Yorkers and New Jerseyans. It was an absolute disgrace.”
King said there were rumblings Tuesday night that the $60 billion aid measure might get pulled, but said House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) assured him there would be a vote once the “fiscal cliff” was dealt with.
“We confronted John Boehner on the floor and asked him,” King said. “He goes ‘no, wait until the fiscal cliff vote is over, we’ll take care of it.’ We were told it was 99 percent certain…the speaker walked off the floor, told an aide to the majority leader that the Congress was finished, there were no votes, and then they came back and told us.”
King said he wasn’t taking it as a personal offense, but as an offense for the thousands of people in his district and the hundreds of thousands of people in the affected areas. He said Congress appropriated $60 billion in aid 10 days after Hurricane Katrina, but that there hasn’t been one cent nine weeks after Sandy.
“All we’re saying is treat us the same everybody else has been treated,” King said. “Why the Republican Party has this bias against New York, this bias against New Jersey, this bias against the northeast? They wonder why they’re becoming a minority party? Why we’re going to be the party of the permanent minority? What they did last night was so immoral, so disgraceful, so irresponsible. They’re supposed to be the party of family values, and you have families that are starving, families that are suffering, families spread all over living in substandard housing. This is a disgrace.”
He added, “They are inexcusable and as far as I’m concerned, I’m on my own. They’re going to have to go a long way to get my vote on anything.”
King said it was a particular betrayal to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who crisscrossed the country campaigning for Republicans during the election.
“He went everywhere for Republicans all over the country, and what do they do? They knifed him in the back,” he said.
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 452 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 399 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 361 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 320 Comments
- This Could Be the Most Haunting Statistic You’ll Ever See 275 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 169 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 102 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich 105 Comments
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 121 Comments
- ‘My Life Is Full of Blessings’: Flesh-Eating Bacteria Victim Who Lost All Limbs Smiles as She Shows Off New Bionic Hands Read More
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 131 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- Cain stops Bigfoot in 1st round, defends UFC title
- Report: New controversy at scandal-scarred Rutgers
- 2 rockets hit Lebanese Hezbollah stronghold
- Spurs take 3-0 lead, beat Grizzlies 104-93 in OT
- Blackhawks beat Red Wings 4-1 to stay alive
- Suspected rebels kill 28, wound 24 in east India
- Search for pilot in deadly NY Angel Flight ongoing
- QB Golson no longer enrolled at Notre Dame