Believe It or Not, These Awesome ‘Sand Pyramids’ Were Found in New York City
This isn’t a scene from ancient Egypt and it isn’t another planet either. Believe it or not, these pyramids lie within New York City limits.
The sandy structures are the result of debris that was swept in by Hurricane Sandy that has now been swept off the streets and transported to this parking lot at Jacob Riis Park in The Rockaways, Queens.
TheBlaze in an email interview with the Brooklyn-based photographer Stéphane Missier (a.k.a. Charles le Brigand) learned he stumbled upon the strange sight when riding his bicycle on December 30. He was on his way to take photos of devastated beach homes when he saw the parking lot.
“I knew the city was using the parking lot as a debris transfer site but I wasn’t expecting such an eerie landscape,” he said to TheBlaze.
He described them as looking like the “dark side of the moon, the Sahara [desert] and pre-Columbian pyramids.”
“Also, there were all kinds of construction and hauling trucks on the site as well as generators, watch towers, and pole lights, so I really had the impression of being on another planet — on some kind of spatial station,” he shared with TheBlaze. “The wind was pretty strong too and really accentuated that lunar feel.”
Missier wrote on his website about the photos that he believes the sand shoveled from the streets and dumped on this location was shaped into pyramids by the winter wind.
Eventually, Missier wrote he was kicked out by “courteous” sanitation police officer.
We asked Missier how he thinks the city has been recovering.
“The streets are clear, but that doesn’t mean people are OK,” he responded.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 496 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 382 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 318 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 181 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 309 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 125 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- Obama lifts ban on Guantanamo transfers to Yemen
- Boy Scouts vote on policy toward openly gay boys
- Stocks edge lower as investors reassess Fed fears
- Smooth confirmation hearing for Pritzker
- Mary J. Blige faces $3.4M federal tax lien in NJ
- Pandora posts in-line 1Q loss, upbeat sales
- Swim coach sentenced to 7 years for sex abuse