Atheists to Send Revamped ‘Jefferson Bible’ (Including Koran & Book of Mormon) to Obama & 113th Congress
Atheist, humanists and their non-believing bedfellows have borrowed a page from Founding Father Thomas Jefferson. In an effort to breathe new life into his so-called “Jefferson Bible,” the American Humanist Association (AHA) has assembled a revamped literary work entitled, “A Jefferson Bible for the Twenty-First Century.” But rather than merely including the former president’s stripped-down version of the New Testament, the non-believing organization has added other religious texts as well.
A press release announcing the new book claims that it also includes edited versions of the Hebrew Bible, the Koran, the Bhagavadgîtâ, the Buddhist Sutras, and the Book of Mormon. The AHA has taken the so-called positive and negative sections of each holy book and highlighted them in the text. According to the statement, the group thought that adding a diverse subset of scriptures from different faiths was a more appropriate and comprehensive action.
See, AHA is planning to send a copy of ”A Jefferson Bible for the Twenty-First Century,” to President Barack Obama and members of the 113th Congress. But with Christianity not dominating every elected House and Senate member’s theological adherence, the humanist group decided to branch out (TheBlaze already told you about Hindi and Buddhist members of the House and Senate who were recently elected).
Printed by AHA’s publishing arm, Humanist Press, the book will arrive to politicians free-of-charge. While it is available now as an e-book, it will also soon be published in paper form. A statement circulated by the secular organization summarizes the purposes behind the book.
“‘A Jefferson Bible for the Twenty-First Century’ follows Jefferson’s lead in creating a useful tome for those interested in the best of the best from the world’s most important religious texts, but also highlights problem passages similar to those that Jefferson lamented arose from ‘the stupidity of some, and roguery of others of His disciples,’” the release reads.
Humanist Press Director Luis Granados said that AHA is looking forward to debate surrounding the passages that the group has selected. He claims that the AHA welcomes dialogue surrounding these matters.
“In 1901, the U.S. Congress felt that the Jefferson Bible was of such great value that it authorized the printing of nine thousand copies for itself,” Granados noted in the release. “With today’s Congress representing a much more religiously diverse population, including a fifth of the population that is not religious, we thought it was appropriate to deliver a new Jefferson Bible that acknowledges that diversity.”
You can read more about this atheist bible of sorts here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,036 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 312 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 251 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 147 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 106 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Portland, Ore., rejecting water fluoridation
- Anthony Weiner launches NY mayoral bid, seeking to revive political career after tweet scandal
- Trout hits for cycle, drives in 5, Angels rout M's
- Garcetti holds slim lead as LA picks new mayor
- Pakistani cricket star politician leaves hospital
- Japan's central bank says economy picking up
- Oil falls below $96 before Fed chief speaks