Glenn Beck and West Point Psychology Prof. Discuss Social Impact of Violent Video Games
Last night, Beck asked viewers to consider the root of the horrific Newtown school shooting that left 28 — including 20 innocent children — dead. Rather than look to America’s gun laws, the outspoken Beck turned his attention to something more subtle, and perhaps deeper that may be at play: the detrimental psychological effects violent video games and movies are having on impressionable children.
To help delve into the matter, Beck hosted special guest Lt. Col Dave Grossman, West Point Psychology Professor, Professor of Military Science. The Army Ranger is considered one of the nation’s foremost experts on PTSD and is a scholar in the field of human aggression and the roots of violent crime. He noted that what today’s video games do is provide a reward for killing each target until there is none remaining that it has conditioned human beings to derive “pleasure from human death and suffering.”
The veteran also observed that since technology is advancing, by logic, people dying of gunshot wounds should be rapidly on the decline, but disturbingly that does not seem to be the case. He also pointed out that mass-murderers like Adam Lanza should not be referred to as “shooters” as it places a negative connotation on everyday people who simply know how to shoot a gun.
In comparing the innocence of yesteryear with the more jaded bent of society today, Beck recalled that when he was young, it used to be about “cops and robbers.” The lines were clear as to who the “bad guys” were and not blurred as they are today. He then asked if it was possible that Lanza had a moment where reality set in before he turned his gun on himself.
The discussion was fascinating and the insights provided by Grossman were both scientifically founded and informative. For instance, the Lt. Col observed that in 5,000 years of trained combat, there has never been “one recorded time in the history of the world” where a juvenile has committed crimes such as those brought to bear at Sandy Hook.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 545 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 499 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 474 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 331 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 313 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 182 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 203 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 136 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Principal recounts storm hitting Okla. school
- Arias foreman: Sentencing decision unfair to jury
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Stocks barely budge; market ends week with loss
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Netflix looks to hook subscribers with 'Arrested'
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't