John Boehner Re-Elected Speaker of the House
John Boehner was re-elected to another two-year term as speaker of the House on Thursday, capping a turbulent period that saw the failure of his “Plan B” to avert the so-called fiscal cliff and open hostility from fellow Republicans over not holding a vote for Hurricane Sandy aid.
The Ohio Republican received 220 votes, losing just a handful of votes from his party. House Democrats nominated Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, who received 192 votes.
A visibly emotional Boehner used his post-election remarks to decry the rising national debt and said Congress must be “willing, truly willing, to make this problem right.”
“The American dream is in peril so long as its namesake is weighed down by this anchor of debt,” Boehner said.
House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) received three Republican votes. Republican Reps. Justin Amash (Mich.), Jim Jordan (Ohio) and Raul Labrador (Idaho) each received one vote. Rep. Jim Cooper (D-Tenn.) received two votes and Reps. John Dingell (D-Mich.) and John Lewis (D-Ga.) each received one.
The Constitution does not require the speaker to be a member of the House, which welcomed two votes for former Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) from Reps. Paul Broun (R-Ga.) and Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) and even one vote for former Secretary of State Colin Powell.
This post has been updated.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 880 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 332 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 322 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 243 Comments
- Report: Obama Administration Apologizes for Another National Security Leak 214 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 191 Comments
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 187 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- Man Catches Record-Setting, 128-Pound Python With His Bare Hands Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Tuesday morning must-reads
- Oklahoman: ‘Have mercy — once again — on Oklahoma, O Lord!’
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Medical examiner: 24 dead in Oklahoma twister
- Eminem's publisher sues Facebook over song usage
- Microsoft expected to reveal next-generation Xbox
- Montana man dies in Yosemite climbing accident
- Los Angeles picks mayor after low-drama campaign
- Easier travel ahead for Conn. commuters
- Utah police close missing mom case after 3 years
- New rice contamination reported in China