Police Chief Bans Officers From Denny’s After Manager Tells Detective to Leave Her Gun in the Car or Leave
Gun sensitivity is certainly on the rise. And if you needed an example, look no further than Belleville, Ill., where a battle is brewing between local police officers and a Denny’s Restaurant after an on-duty detective who went inside was told that she either had to leave her firearm in the car or exit the establishment. In addition to voicing outrage at the alleged treatment, the Belleville police chief has since banned officers from eating at the diner.
The drama unfolded on New Year’s Day when the detectives were eating at the Denny’s. The restaurant’s manager came over to tell a female in the group that she had to take her gun to the car or leave. Her request was purportedly based on a complaint from another customer. While, at first, the detectives assumed that the mandate was a joke, they quickly learned otherwise.
The manager explained the Denny’s only allows officers in uniform to carry guns, however the detectives had shown their badges, thus substantiating their identities. When they got up to leave, a general manager, who purportedly noticed the officers refusing to pay for their meals during the dispute, came over and told them that they could stay after all. But the damage was done.
The detectives, feeling embarrassed, decided to leave anyway. Belleville Police Capt. Don Sax condemned the employee’s treatment of the group in a statement to Fox News’ Todd Starnes.
“The Belleville Police Department is very disheartened by the lack of respect shown to on-duty sworn police officers,” he said. “Until further notice all on duty Belleville Police officers are banned from Denny’s Restaurant unless responding to an official call for service.”
To clear up the situation, a Denny’s spokesperson said that the manager making the initial request was wrong and that police in or out of uniform may carry weapons in the company’s restaurants. The spokesperson dismissed the incident as “miscommunication” and said that the manager was simply trying to do the right thing to address another customer’s complaints.
(H/T: Fox News’ Todd Starnes)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 565 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 488 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 346 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 252 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 240 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 142 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Bayern faces Dortmund in Champions League final
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Principal recounts tornado hitting Oklahoma school
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees tragedy behind him
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Actress Bynes accused of bong toss out NYC window
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee