Huckabee Challenges Obama’s Contraceptive Mandate With ‘Hobby Lobby Appreciation Day’ — Are You Taking Part?
You may remember that, at the heat of the debate over Chick-fil-A and its stance over gay marriage last summer, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee emerged as a prominent figure who offered support to the fast-food chain. His “Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day” brought hundreds of thousands of supporters out to take a stand in favor of the embattled evangelical-led company. Huckabee is following up on the success of his Chick-fil-A endeavor by promoting a new initiative — “Hobby Lobby Appreciation Day.”
On Thursday, the Fox News host took to his Facebook page and web site to urge supporters to stand behind the craft store chain in its ongoing battle against the Obama administration’s controversial contraceptive mandate. As TheBlaze previously reported, Hobby Lobby is refusing to comply with the president’s morning after pill mandate, risking potential fines of up to $1.3 million per day.
Due to the fact that the craft chain and religious bookseller Mardel Inc. (both owned by the Green family, evangelicals who stand opposed to the mandate) are not faith-based institutions, they are not exempt from the government’s force-of-hand on the contraceptive front. Late last month, Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor denied Hobby Lobby’s request for an inunction on the measure while a lawsuit is ongoing, meaning that the company has no protection against potential federal ramifications.
Now, Huckabee is coming alongside the company — and urging others to do the same. Here’s what the former governor wrote about “Hobby Lobby Appreciation Day” on his official web site:
Hobby Lobby is a respected and very successful business that is privately owned by a family who have sought to honor God in their personal lives and in their business. Their generosity to missions, to the relief of poverty around the world, to Christian education, and to their employees is legendary and exemplifies the kind of business principle that should be applauded and appreciated.
Instead they are having to fight in court for the most basic American rights of freedom of religion and freedom of speech. The Obama administration insists that companies like Hobby Lobby bow their knees to the God of government health care mandates, even when those mandates are a clear and direct contradiction to their personal beliefs of faith. [...]
We will stand with them in their resistance. For we will either stand together or fall together. I choose to stand. What about you?
Huckabee encouraged those interested in taking part to show their devotion to the company by logging on to StandWithHobbyLobby.com, an online initiative that was launched by a man named Joe Grabowski. As of 4:00 p.m. E.T. on Friday, there were more than 40,000 Americans signed on to join in on the “Hobby Lobby Appreciation Day.”
Supporting the company, though, goes beyond simply joining a Facebook initiative. Grabowski explains: “On Saturday, January 5th, all Americans who value freedom of religion and oppose the HHS Mandate’s unfair impositions upon religious individuals and corporate entities are called upon to show their support for Hobby Lobby by shopping either at their local retail Hobby Lobby store or online.”
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 593 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 397 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 290 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Mosque blast kills 12 in eastern Afghanistan
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools
- Chile's Indians take on world's largest gold miner