Police Chief Lifts Ban on Officers Eating at Denny’s After Detective Was Told to Leave Her Gun in the Car
With gun sensitivity at a fever-pitch, yesterday’s story about detectives in Belleville, Ill., who argued with a manager after being told that they couldn’t have firearms inside of a Denny’s restaurant, resonated. But now, just one day after TheBlaze reported that Belleville Police Capt. Don Sax banned officers from entering the establishment as a result of the incident, he has overturned his proclamation.
Fox News’ Todd Starnes reports that the mandate that officers not eat at the location is no longer in place. Originally, Sax issued a pointed statement that chastised Denny’s and dismissed the negative treatment his detectives received.
“The Belleville Police Department is very disheartened by the lack of respect shown to on-duty sworn police officers,” he initially said. “Until further notice all on duty Belleville Police officers are banned from Denny’s Restaurant unless responding to an official call for service.”
Well, it seems that “further notice” has arrived now that officers can, once again, enjoy the diner’s delicacies. As previously reported, the initial drama unfolded on New Year’s Day when the detectives were eating at the establishment The restaurant’s manager came over to tell a female in the group that she had to take her gun to the car — or leave.
The employee’s request was purportedly based on a complaint from another customer. While, at first, the detectives assumed that the mandate was a joke, they quickly learned otherwise. The manager explained the Denny’s only allows officers in uniform to carry guns, however the detectives had shown their badges, thus substantiating their identities.
When they got up to leave, a general manager, who purportedly noticed the officers refusing to pay for their meals during the dispute, came over and told the cops that they could stay after all. However, feeling embarrassed by the spectacle, they decided to leave anyway.
Following the incident, a Denny’s spokesperson said that the manager making the initial request was wrong and that police in or out of uniform may carry weapons in the company’s restaurants. The spokesperson dismissed the incident as “miscommunication” and said that the manager was simply trying to do the right thing to address another customer’s complaints.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 484 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 471 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 462 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 356 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 327 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ Read More
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 118 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Emails suggest Treasury delayed alerting Congress to Tea Party targeting scheme
- Karl Rove advises GOP not to threaten impeachment
- Gang of 8 needs to fix massive Obamacare loophole with immigration bill
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech
- UN: 22 deaths worldwide from coronavirus
- Togo police fire tear gas at protesters
- McQuaid: Panel to study UCI-Armstrong 'collusion'
- Jewelry stolen a 2nd time during Cannes festival
- Russian court denies Pussy Riot's Alekhina parole
- Czech police seek US man suspected of 4 murders
- Jerry Lewis repeats his distaste for female comics