‘My Wife Is a Hero’: Georgia Mother Shoots Home Intruder Five Times After Being Cornered in Attic
A Georgia mother and her two young children are unharmed after a man broke into their house with a crowbar on Friday, cornering them in an attic crawlspace.
According to WSB-TV, the woman was at home with her nine-year-old twins when the doorbell rang. When they didn’t answer, the man reportedly went back to his car and returned with a crowbar.
The mother said she could see the suspect– now identified as Paul Slater– trying to enter the house with the crowbar from her office window. Without hesitation, she grabbed her children, her phone, her gun, and ran upstairs.
One can only imagine the breathless moments after the man broke down the door and began searching the house.
But the man eventually found the family.
“The perpetrator opens that door. Of course, at that time he’s staring at her, her two children and a .38 revolver,” [Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman] told Channel 2’s Kerry Kavanaugh.
The woman then shot him five times, but he survived, Chapman said. He said the woman ran out of bullets but threatened to shoot the intruder if he moved.
“She’s standing over him, and she realizes she’s fired all six rounds. And the guy’s telling her to quit shooting,” Chapman said.
The woman ran to a neighbor’s home with her children. The intruder attempted to flee in his car but crashed into a wooded area and collapsed in a nearby driveway, Chapman said. [Emphasis added]
Slater– who was taken to the hospital with punctured lungs, a punctured liver, and a punctured stomach– has reportedly been arrested six times since 2008.
“My wife is a hero. She protected her kids. She did what she was supposed to do as a responsible, prepared gun owner,” [the woman's husband] Donnie Herman said.
He said he’s thankful for his family’s safety.
“Her life is saved, and her kids’ life is saved, and that’s all I’d like to say,” Herman said.
Commenters have overwhelmingly agreed with the husband thus far– one Savannah Morning News reader even posting a similar story illustrating the importance of the woman’s firearm.
In the other report, after an unarmed woman’s home was robbed, she was the one who ended up in the hospital with multiple gunshot wounds.
Watch WSB-TV’s entire report, below:
(H/T: Pat Dollard)
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 451 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 361 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 320 Comments
- This Could Be the Most Haunting Statistic You’ll Ever See 275 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 169 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 102 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich 105 Comments
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 121 Comments
- ‘My Life Is Full of Blessings’: Flesh-Eating Bacteria Victim Who Lost All Limbs Smiles as She Shows Off New Bionic Hands Read More
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 130 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- Report: New controversy at scandal-scarred Rutgers
- 2 rockets hit Lebanese Hezbollah stronghold
- Spurs take 3-0 lead, beat Grizzlies 104-93 in OT
- Cain stops Bigfoot in 1st round, defends UFC title
- Blackhawks beat Red Wings 4-1 to stay alive
- Suspected rebels kill 28, wound 24 in east India
- Search for pilot in deadly NY Angel Flight ongoing
- QB Golson no longer enrolled at Notre Dame