The World’s Largest Light Art Piece Used a ‘Lot of Torches’: See How It Was Made
In October 2012, Michael Bosanko, a light graffiti artist, made what is said to be the largest light art piece ever created.
This sort of artwork uses a single camera exposure, hundreds of lights and unedited photography. So what would it take to make the largest piece ever? As Bosanko explained in a video recently released detailing how it was done, it took a 35,000-square-foot airplane hanger in the U.K. and “a lot of torches.”
It was also the longest exposure he had done on camera. Ultimately, the camera was left to expose for more than an hour, and it took two attempts to achieve the result he wanted.
“One thing I’ve always wanted to do was have a complete blank canvas and create my own environment, my own characters just purely out of light,” Bosanko said in the video. The artist usually incorporates a natural backdrop into his light art.
Watch the making of the piece, which includes Basanko’s dance-like movements as he’s visualizing what the lights will look like when he’s setting the project up:
Since he created this piece in October, it had a Halloween theme. But more recently, he’s done some for the Christmas holiday as well. Here are videos for a couple of those.
Christmas tree light art:
Manger light art:
Present light art:
Check out more of Bosanko’s light graffiti on his Facebook page here.
If you liked this story, here’s another feature on TheBlaze showcasing a light painter’s work.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 590 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 390 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 321 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 275 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 151 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins