Chaos After Semi Truck Carrying 32 Bulls Crashes on Florida Highway
GAINESVILLE, Fla. (TheBlaze/AP) — A semitrailer hauling 32 bulls slammed into a tree on Florida’s I-75 Saturday afternoon, snarling traffic and forcing Highway Patrol officials to chase down and shoot one of the three animals that escaped.
A veterinarian sedated another of the animals with a dart. The first was shot for being overly aggressive after Saturday’s crash.
“I had to dart one of them. They were wrangled by two cowboys. We ended up going down the road about a mile. They roped it first and I had to dart it,” Eric Hiers, a large-animal veterinarian, explained.
He continued: “One of them had to be shot by the sheriff’s deputy — it was very aggressive, very dangerous. They are very gentle for the most part but in situations like this they can be very dangerous.”
The Gainesville Sun reported Sunday that a crew of cowboys, veterinarians and state troopers set up chutes with portable metal fences to offload the bulls from the semi into trailers that would transport them to South Florida.
Bryan Martin said he and driver Travis Carr, the driver, were hauling the bulls from Texas to Indiantown.
Carr has been hospitalized with serious injuries, but they are not being reported as life-threatening.
“People said (the driver) did a real good job — that he could have taken out five cars,” Martin added.
An entrance to the highway was blocked for several hours.
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 439 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 382 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 363 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 312 Comments
- ‘We Ain’t Scared of Nobody!’: New Documentary Claims to Show the KKK Thriving in Deep South 303 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 163 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 102 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 121 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 114 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- Giffords, husband address graduates at Bard
- Kuchar still leads at Colonial after long Saturday
- Tornado victims include animal lover, man in truck
- Red Sox rally for 4 in 8th to beat Indians 7-4
- Bayern beats Dortmund 2-1 in final on Robben goal
- Anti-Muslim actions rise in UK over slain soldier
- San Antonio flooding kills 1; dozens rescued