Lindsey Graham: ‘All of Us Should Be Fired’ if Congress Can’t Establish Debt Reduction Plan
Senator Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) appeared on CNN’s “State of the Union” with Candy Crowley Sunday to discuss the national debt and upcoming debt ceiling negotiations.
After the down-to-the-wire drama of the “fiscal cliff” deal, Graham bluntly stated that if Congress cannot establish a responsible plan to reduce the deficit, every member of Congress should be “fired.”
That doesn’t mean, however, that the debt ceiling should not be raised. Graham simply argued that the two need to go hand-in-hand.
“I want to raise the debt ceiling, but I will not do it without a plan to get out of debt,” he declared.
One possible solution would be a “dollar for dollar offset,” where we cut spending by $1 for every $1 that we raise the debt ceiling, Graham added.
“Our Democratic friends haven’t passed a budget in three years, contrary to the law of the land, and why raise money and spend it if you don’t have a budget? So a dollar for dollar offset and a budget I think are two conditions to raising the debt ceiling.”
The Huffington Post reminds, though, that President Obama has said he is unwilling to negotiate on the matter:
Graham’s comments came 24 hours after President Barack Obama used his weekly Saturday address to reiterate that he “will not compromise” on lifting the federal debt ceiling.
“If Congress refuses to give the United States the ability to pay its bills on time, the consequences for the entire global economy could be catastrophic,” Obama said. “Our families and our businesses cannot afford that dangerous game again.”
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi offered a third option on Sunday. In her opinion, President Obama should just invoke the 14th Amendment and unilaterally raise the debt limit.
But as long as Congress has a say, Graham vowed: “I’m not going to borrow trillions more dollars without a plan to get out of debt.”
Mediaite has video of the interview:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 550 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 503 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 475 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 332 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 324 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 200 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 210 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 139 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Principal recounts storm hitting Okla. school
- Arias foreman: Sentencing decision unfair to jury
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Stocks barely budge; market ends week with loss
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Netflix looks to hook subscribers with 'Arrested'
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't