Nancy Pelosi: Obama Should ‘Just Go Do It’ and Use the 14th Amendment to Raise the Debt Ceiling
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi on Sunday said President Barack Obama should avoid a battle with Congress and just use the Constitution to unilaterally raise the debt ceiling.
The California Democrat told CBS’ “Face the Nation” that if she were president, she would invoke the 14th Amendment and raise the limit on her own. The amendment states that “the validity of the public debt … shall not be questioned,” which supporters say enables the president to raise the debt ceiling without input from Congress in order to ensure payments to bondholders are met.
“We always passed the debt ceiling when President Bush was president, as he was incurring these massive debts, and the Republicans weren’t saying ‘boo’ at the time,” Pelosi said of the expected February standoff. “If I were president, I would use the 14th Amendment, which says that the debt of the United States will always be paid.”
She continued, “I would just go do it. But the Congress has incurred much of this debt. And so what are you saying, we incurred it but we’re not going to pay it? If you want to say, ‘We are not going to do it so much in the future,’ well that’s another thing. But you can’t say, ‘I’m not paying my past debts.’”
The White House in December ruled out invoking the 14th Amendment to solve the debt-ceiling crisis, saying such an approach was off the table.
“This administration does not believe that the 14th Amendment gives the president the power to ignore the debt ceiling — period,” White House press secretary Jay Carney said.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 504 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 469 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 390 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 327 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 100 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 202 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 140 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 102 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 125 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Red Wings top Blackhawks 2-0, take 3-1 series lead
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Asia stock markets edge up after big sell-off
- Chinese media: North Korea envoy offers talks
- I-5 bridge collapses in NW Wash.; people in water
- Wash. State Patrol: I-5 bridge collapses into Skagit River; sends vehicles, people into water
- NJ franchisee: We'll fix any fake-liquor problems
- Rep. Jo Bonner resigning to take Ala. college post