Rand Paul: I’m Thinking About a Presidential Run
Sen. Rand Paul, heir apparent to his father’s political movement, said he’s thinking about making a run for president.
“We are going to have to have somebody a little bit different than we’ve had in the past,” the Kentucky Republican said in a radio interview Friday with Andrea Tantaros and Jason Mattera. “Someone who can appeal to people in New England and on the West Coast. Someone who has a little more of a libertarian-Republican approach, I think, would have a better chance with independents and moderates.”
“And so, you know, we’ll think about it,” he said.
Paul won a seat last week on the influential Senate Foreign Relations Committee, meaning he would be well-placed in the national conversation should he choose to mount a 2016 bid. Following President Barack Obama’s November re-election, Paul said he wants to eliminate mandatory minimum sentences for marijuana possession and work out an immigration plan with an “eventual path” to citizenship for illegal immigrants — both signs he’s seeking broader support than just the Tea Party movement that helped put him in the Senate.
He’s also set to travel to Israel, a strong indication that he’s seeking to separate himself from his father, who faced strong criticism about his attitude toward the Jewish state, particularly as it related to foreign aid.
Paul said he believes the just-retired Texas Rep. Ron Paul was “unfairly characterized” about Israel, pointing out that his father’s intellectual heroes are all Jewish.
“There’s never been any sort of Jewish problem other than that he did talk about foreign aid and so do I, but I think sometimes that gets misinterpreted,” Rand Paul said. “People think oh, you’re just talking about Israel, and in fact I spend most of my time emphasizing that most of this foreign aid I’m talking about is going to enemies of Israel.”
In an interview with TheBlaze during the Republican National Convention, Rand Paul — who endorsed GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney — was modest on whether he would automatically inherit his father’s vast well loyal supporters.
“I don’t think anyone can really get credit and say I’m the new leader of the Ron Paul movement,” Paul said.
Listen to Paul’s interview with Tantaros and Mattera below, via the Washington Examiner. Presidential bid comments come at the 13:00 mark:
(h/t: Washington Examiner)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 496 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 382 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 318 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 180 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 307 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 124 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- Obama lifts ban on Guantanamo transfers to Yemen
- Boy Scouts vote on policy toward openly gay boys
- Stocks edge lower as investors reassess Fed fears
- Smooth confirmation hearing for Pritzker
- Mary J. Blige faces $3.4M federal tax lien in NJ
- Pandora posts in-line 1Q loss, upbeat sales
- Swim coach sentenced to 7 years for sex abuse