Report: Hillary Clinton to Return to Work Monday After Month of Health Issues
The State Department revealed late Sunday that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is expected to return to work on Monday, after a month of various health issues kept her largely out of the public eye.
It was reported last Thursday that Clinton would be returning sometime this week, but a public schedule for the State Department now indicates that Clinton will be back around 9 a.m. Monday morning.
Reuters has more details:
Clinton, 65, will sit down with assistant secretaries of state for a closed-door meeting on Monday at 9:15 a.m. (1415 GMT) at the start of a week-long schedule containing nearly a dozen meetings, including three at the White House.
The secretary was released from New York Presbyterian Hospital last Wednesday, after a stay of several days during which she was given blood thinners to treat the clot in a vein behind her right ear. She has been resting at home in New York since then.
Clinton has suffered a series of ailments over the last month, including a stomach virus and a concussion.
Her doctors have said they expect her to make a full recovery.
According to the State Department, Clinton has been receiving memos and regularly speaking with her staff while away.
Clinton will meet this week with, among others, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta, national security adviser Tom Donilon, and Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
The Agence France-Presse adds:
Last week, State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said Clinton was “raring” to get back to work after being treated in a New York hospital for the blood clot discovered in a vein behind her right ear.
“She’s looking forward to getting back to the office,” Nuland said on Thursday. “She is very much planning to do so next week.”
Nuland said there had been an outpouring of support for Clinton from well-wishers from around the world. “I think you could call the number of goodwill messages a tsunami,” she said.
Clinton is due to be replaced as Secretary of State by Senator John Kerry (D-Mass.) later this month.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 422 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 375 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 110 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 207 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 105 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Police: Suicidal jumper's fall kills SKorean girl
- I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river, injuring 3
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- 5 climbers feared dead on world's 3rd highest peak
- Asia stocks extend losses after big sell-off
- 5 climbers missing on world's 3rd highest mountain
- Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash