Has Rapper Eminem Really Become a Born-Again Christian?
Rapper Eminem is known for his edgy music, which generally includes explicit lyrics and controversial themes. That’s why last week’s media report alleging that the performer has become a born-again Christian sparked so much interest.
While it was enticing for many to pounce on the idea that the formerly-troubled star would have a “come to Jesus” moment, the entire notion of an intense spiritual transformation is based on an unnamed source who was cited on the web site AllHipHop.com.
“I heard a doozie recently and I’m not sure that I can believe that its completely true,” the article announcing the rumor about the purported conversion read. “On the flip, I wouldn’t be shocked if it was. Eminem has been evolving a lot over the last few years. We’ve seen it. Maturity. Sobriety.”
The rumor, based on a source from Detroit, Mich., claims that the rapper is removing himself “further from the depths of the music industry.” This action, which has purportedly had an impact on his business ties and the acts he works with, is allegedly predicated upon the conversion to Christianity in which the rapper is said to have turned his life over to God.
This story wasn’t only reported on the hip hop blog, though. Other outlets like The Christian Post and the blog and opinion section of The Huffington Post also explored the alleged faith transformation. Following the story’s circulation, TheBlaze decided to investigate the shocking claim. We made several calls and sent e-mails to an Interscope Records representative who work with “Slim Shady” (one of the rapper’s stage names).
After repeated attempts to receive an answer, the publicist offered a brief response when asked if the singer is now a born-again Christian. ”He is not,” the message back to TheBlaze read, thus debunking — at least until we hear a response from the rapper himself — the notion that has has personally embraced Jesus Christ’s teachings.
Rumors and intriguing theories surrounding Eminem’s faith are nothing new. As USC Annenberg communications professor Marcia Dawkins writes:
Conspiratorial theories asserting that Mathers is either a Satanist or an Illuminati pawn have reached a broad, mass audience through the Internet. Now, a new meme has been added to the rapper’s spiritual story. Rumor has it that Mathers is now a Born Again Christian. According to rap’s and religion’s insiders, Eminem has “turned his life over to Christ,” and is “building a relationship with God and using that to help him spiritually, and with his addiction problems.”
It is impossible to know, with any accuracy, the truth about Mathers’s spiritual journey. However, the fact that God and Devil worship rumors abound makes it important to examine his public endorsements in lyrics as a meaningful way to draw audiences in through passionate condemnation.
Either Eminem has not yet announced to his record label that he has converted or the notion, itself, is an unfounded rumor. Or — perhaps he’s still in the process of figuring out his spiritual journey. Regardless, the rapper’s turn from a controversial figure touting questionable themes to a gospel-driven performer would certainly be fascinating to observe.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 839 Comments
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 348 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 268 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 241 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 215 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 163 Comments
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 177 Comments
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 181 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- Roadside bomb kills 6 policemen in Afghanistan
- Charismatic Las Vegas mob lawyer mayor pens memoir
- Police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- O'Malley using agenda, fundraising to explore 2016
- Arias speaks on own behalf as jury considers death
- Red Wings beat Blackhawks to take 2-1 series lead
- China's Li seeks stronger economic ties with India
- Israel returns fire following shooting from Syria