Streaming Box Roku Announces Cable Deal With Time Warner, Which Is Big News for You
The streaming player Roku — a device that’s used to stream content like Netflix, Hulu, TheBlaze TV and other subscriptions through the Internet onto a television — recently signed a deal with Time Warner Cable to offer an app that will allow it to function like a traditional cable box service.
At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Eric Savitz for Forbes wrote that Roku announced the deal, which brings its device’s use more into a mainstream capacity. Time Warner subscribers who also have a Roku box will be able to stream up to 300 television channels without any additional charges.
Here’s how TechCrunch described it:
The new channel will allow Time Warner cable subscribers to log in using their cable credentials and begin streaming live TV in their homes. While Time Warner Cable has made apps like this available on the iPad, iPhones, and through Web browsers, this will be the first time that a connected TV device will have the cable distributor’s programming. Despite previous announcements with CE manufacturers like Samsung and Sony at previous CES events, Time Warner Cable will land on Roku first.
“The big picture is that TV is moving to the Internet,” Roku CEO Anthony Wood said in an interview with Forbes. “All TV eventually is going to [be] over the Internet.”
Forbes reported this breakdown to show that shift is already occurring:
Wood says that about 30% of Roku users to do not use a pay TV service, although the other 70% – and he says the balance has been pretty consistent as the company has grown. Of the 30% without cable service, about 10% came to Roku without previously having cable service. The other 20% drop cable after buying their Roku box.
The deal is being hailed as a milestone for the two companies. It’s the first time Time Warner has allowed a third party to access its content and Roku is functioning more and more like a cable box replacement.
TheVerge pointed out that the channels available to be streamed will be limited by what’s included in the subscriber’s cable package.
- Was Beck Right? Potential for A La Carte Cable TV Channels Picks Up Steam With Intel Unbundling Rumors
- Roku Slims Down With New Internet Streaming Device Design
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 441 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 422 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 410 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 320 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 164 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 135 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 125 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 243 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 115 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Octogenarians race to be oldest Everest climber
- Emails show AEG lawyer called Jackson a 'freak'
- FBI: Arrest made in Wash. ricin letter scare
- Talk of lies, pride as Trump case goes to jury
- Flooding forces evacuation of 1,300 in ND town
- AP Source: Coach K returning to US men's team
- 3rd grader who loved to sing among tornado victims
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes