Why Does Harvard Law Prof. Say It’s ‘Racist and Bigoted’ to Call Guns ‘Quintessentially American’?
Adding to the long line of things that have been deemed “racist” by those on the left (think: peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, or almost anything Chris Matthews sees), Harvard professor Alan Dershowitz appeared on CNN with Piers Morgan Monday to discuss the gun control debate currently gripping the United States.
Appearing soon after Infowars’ Alex Jones went ballistic defending the 2nd Amendment– shouting, hollering, and even threatening that “1776″ would “commence again” if the administration came after people’s firearms– the two spent several minutes discussing how important it is that rational, reasonable CNN-viewers see Jones’ hysteria.
After Morgan lamented the amount of influence wielded by organizations like the NRA, Dershowitz launched into a spiel of his own, where he eventually argued that it is “racist” to say that guns are “quintessentially American”:
I don’t think it’s the NRA power [that's the problem]. I think it’s people like us, not the two of us, but Americans who care about guns [who] aren’t doing enough to make our case to the public.
…We’ve given that issue over to them because they have lobbyists they pay money. But in the end, the people determine the outcome. And it’s wrong, and it’s racist and it’s bigoted to say that guns are quintessentially American. They may represent a part of America, but my grandparents, who came over from Poland and live in Brooklyn, New York, are just as much Americans –people who came over from Ireland, people who came over from Italy — we’re just as much Americans. We live on the coast and we have a right to define the America we want to live in and we have the obligation to win politically, to vote for people to put gun control as a high priority. [Emphasis added]
Presumably, though, when people say that guns are part of the American culture, they are not referring to whether people’s ancestors possessed a firearm, but to the Bill of Rights.
Watch the entire segment, below (“racist and bigoted” comments around 4:45):
- Iowa Lawmaker: Ban Semi-Automatic Weapons, Then ‘Start Taking Them’ From Gun Owners if Needed
- Gawker Publishes Complete, 446-Page List of ‘All the A**holes Who Own Guns in New York City’
- Alex Jones Goes Ballistic Debating Gun Control With Piers Morgan: ’1776 Will Commence Again if You Try to Take Our Firearms!’
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,036 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 312 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 147 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 106 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Maine man charged in death of missing teen
- Weak yen a help for Japan, but headache elsewhere
- Portland, Ore., rejecting water fluoridation
- Conn. rail service returning to normal
- Hosseini discusses new novel at NYC reading
- Young objector challenges Israeli army
- Egypt: 7 security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Garcetti holds slim lead as LA picks new mayor