Alleged Tip Left at Restaurant Goes Viral: No Gratuity Because Obama Insists ‘I Pay My Fair Share’
Posted with the caption “left in lieu of a tip,” author Michael Kindt put the following photo on his Tumblr wall:
“As a direct result of Proposition 30,” the card reads, referring to California’s latest sales and income tax increase, “and President Obama’s insistence that I pay ‘MY FAIR SHARE IN TAXES,’ I find that I must cut back on discretionary spending and gratuities.”
“I wish it didn’t have to be this way for both of us,” the card concludes.
Kindt was unimpressed with the card: “Gotta love those Republicans, huh?”
Two points should be made.
First, because it’s unclear when and where the photo was taken, there’s no guaranteeing it’s not a hoax.
Second, if it is indeed a hoax, this wouldn’t be the first time that someone tried to gin up anti-conservative sentiment with a cock-and-bull story about a lousy tip.
In February of 2012, a blogger fabricated a story about a “banker” going into a True Food Kitchen, running up a three-figure tab, leaving a one percent tip, and then writing “GET A REAL JOB” on the receipt.
It was all fake and there was nothing to the story.
Therefore, until there’s confirmation on the “sorry I can’t tip” card, it’s best to remain skeptical. But if the story turns out to be authentic, it should raise eyebrows.
Kindt did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Final Thought: Real or not, there are two ways to look at this card. It could be argued that until people at all levels — even waitstaff — realize how government policies affect them, they won’t think twice about what’s going on in Washington.
It could also be argued, however, that the money it took to print the card could have been used to tip the restaurant worker — or the person could have left both.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image courtesy Getty Images.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 592 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 393 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 337 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 330 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 286 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan