The Washington, D.C. attorney general’s office expects to announce “pretty soon” whether it will pursue a case against NBC’s David Gregory for apparently holding up a high-capacity ammunition magazine on national television last month, a spokesman said.
Ted Gest, public information officer for D.C. Attorney General Irvin Nathan, told TheBlaze Wednesday the office is “looking into it” with an announcement possible by the end of the week.
“We are looking into it and I can’t give you some exact time [on announcing a decision whether or not to pursue],” Gest said. “Pretty soon.”
Gest’s comment came after a spokeswoman for D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier told the Washington Post Tuesday that the department “completed the investigation into this matter, and the case has been presented to the OAG for a determination of the prosecutorial merit of the case.”
Gregory pulled the magazine out during a “Meet the Press” interview with National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre following the elementary school massacre in Newtown, Conn. In D.C., where “Meet the Press” tapes, it is illegal to possess a magazine capable of holding 10 or more rounds of ammunition. Violations are punishable by a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.
Lanier previously said D.C. police were investigating the incident to determine whether the magazine Gregory brandished was real.
From the breaking news you need to know to the hottest trends circling the Web, TheBlaze has it all. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Periscope.