Piers Morgan Deportation Petition Gets Official White House Response (Hint: He Won’t Be Deported!)
It’s been a heavy-duty media week for CNN host Piers Morgan. After publicly sparing with radio host Alex Jones, the popular personality and anti-gun advocate is capturing headlines for yet another reason. The White House officially responded on Wednesday to a much-publicized petition (one that Jones was purportedly involved in) calling for Morgan to be deported.
After bringing in 109,334 signatures, the Obama administration was forced, as per its pledge to respond to all petitions exceeding 25,000, to offer an official response. In a statement published on WhiteHouse.gov, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney reminded those behind the petition — as well as those who signed it — to “keep the First [Amendment]” in mind when defending gun rights.
Rather than naming Morgan or spending time defending his specific character, Carney spoke generally about the need to respect freedom of speech and the press. He wrote, in part:
Let’s not let arguments over the Constitution’s Second Amendment violate the spirit of its First. President Obama believes that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms. However, the Constitution not only guarantees an individual right to bear arms, but also enshrines the freedom of speech and the freedom of the press — fundamental principles that are essential to our democracy. Americans may disagree on matters of public policy and express those disagreements vigorously, but no one should be punished by the government simply because he or she expressed a view on the Second Amendment — or any other matter of public concern.
We recognize that the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, sparked an intense, and at times emotional, national conversation about the steps we can take as a country to reduce gun violence. In fact, your petition is one of many on the issue, and President Obama personally responded by sharing his views on this important issue.
So, there you have it. Morgan’s speech — like its contents or not — is protected. Read Carney’s entire response here.
- ‘The Media Isn’t Being Honest About This’: Oddly Enough, the Data in This Viral Vid Has Been Left Out of the Gun Control Debate
- Conan O’Brien’s Take on Alex Jones’ CNN Appearance Might Be Even More Entertaining Than the Actual Interview
- Former U.S. Marine Vs. Piers Morgan on Guns: ‘We Can’t Give Up Our Rights Because We’re Afraid’
- Why Does Harvard Law Prof. Say It’s ‘Racist and Bigoted’ to Call Guns ‘Quintessentially American’?
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,030 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 434 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 249 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 135 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Spurs blow late lead, beat Grizzlies 93-89 in OT
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings
- Portland, Ore., rejecting water fluoridation
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Straily, Cespedes push A's past Rangers 1-0
- Apple case seen as possible spur to tax action
- Bernanke testimony to be studied for policy clues