Piers Morgan Deportation Petition Gets Official White House Response (Hint: He Won’t Be Deported!)
It’s been a heavy-duty media week for CNN host Piers Morgan. After publicly sparing with radio host Alex Jones, the popular personality and anti-gun advocate is capturing headlines for yet another reason. The White House officially responded on Wednesday to a much-publicized petition (one that Jones was purportedly involved in) calling for Morgan to be deported.
After bringing in 109,334 signatures, the Obama administration was forced, as per its pledge to respond to all petitions exceeding 25,000, to offer an official response. In a statement published on WhiteHouse.gov, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney reminded those behind the petition — as well as those who signed it — to “keep the First [Amendment]” in mind when defending gun rights.
Rather than naming Morgan or spending time defending his specific character, Carney spoke generally about the need to respect freedom of speech and the press. He wrote, in part:
Let’s not let arguments over the Constitution’s Second Amendment violate the spirit of its First. President Obama believes that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms. However, the Constitution not only guarantees an individual right to bear arms, but also enshrines the freedom of speech and the freedom of the press — fundamental principles that are essential to our democracy. Americans may disagree on matters of public policy and express those disagreements vigorously, but no one should be punished by the government simply because he or she expressed a view on the Second Amendment — or any other matter of public concern.
We recognize that the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, sparked an intense, and at times emotional, national conversation about the steps we can take as a country to reduce gun violence. In fact, your petition is one of many on the issue, and President Obama personally responded by sharing his views on this important issue.
So, there you have it. Morgan’s speech — like its contents or not — is protected. Read Carney’s entire response here.
- ‘The Media Isn’t Being Honest About This’: Oddly Enough, the Data in This Viral Vid Has Been Left Out of the Gun Control Debate
- Conan O’Brien’s Take on Alex Jones’ CNN Appearance Might Be Even More Entertaining Than the Actual Interview
- Former U.S. Marine Vs. Piers Morgan on Guns: ‘We Can’t Give Up Our Rights Because We’re Afraid’
- Why Does Harvard Law Prof. Say It’s ‘Racist and Bigoted’ to Call Guns ‘Quintessentially American’?
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 519 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 464 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 447 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 330 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 258 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Solar plane completes 2nd leg of trip in Texas
- Czech police seek US man suspected of 4 murders
- 5 dead in Lebanon clash of Assad foes, backers
- Japan gyrations underline economy's vulnerability
- US equities sell-off goes on; futures slump
- Q&A: What is known about London attack
- Brave woman tried to reason with London attackers
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival