‘Real News’: Gun Control in the Crosshairs
Approaching a month since the horrific shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, the national debate on gun control has taken an alarming turn, and answers for effective legislation to keep guns out of the hands of the wrong people while respecting the Second Amendment seem no closer to the table. The pro-gun and anti-gun sides appear to be becoming more vitriolic towards each other, and majority-supported policy to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally unstable has not come easily.
Two weeks ago The Journal News, a small northern New York suburb newspaper, drew the ire of conservatives across the country and made national news after publishing the names and addresses of handgun permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties. This week, Gawker published the names of all the gun owners, as they refer to as “assholes,” in New York City.
A story coming out of Los Angeles picked up by TMZ has shocked many in the wake of the Connecticut shooting, as a 24-year-old man who threatened on social media to recreate the Sandy Hook shooting in California will not be prosecuted by police. When police first heard about his threats Kyle Bangayan was arrested and police found in his house six semi-automatic handguns, two rifles and one shotgun. Police say they released Bangayan because his threats were not specific.
Vice President Joe Biden is currently overseeing a task force to lower gun violence that is expected to recommend far-reaching gun control legislation, and state governors like Andrew Cuomo of New York have proposed new and extremely tough laws on gun ownership.
Second Amendment enthusiasts and many conservatives have opined that these massive legislative overhauls on gun control are being proposed with little input of gun owners, and the actions of Gawker and The Journal Times feed in to an unfair assumption that anyone who owns a gun is dangerous.
On ‘Real News’ Wednesday the panel discussed the direction the gun control debate has gone in recent weeks, and how lawmakers can work to decrease gun violence without stepping on civil liberties or compromising safety.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 969 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 421 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 371 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 281 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 255 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 118 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 169 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Report: More Benghazi whistleblowers to come forward?
- Protesters chant 'Stop the IRS' in Cincinnati
- More attacks across Iraq kill 13 people
- Police release photos from Tucson shooting rampage
- Power of Moore tornado dwarfs Hiroshima bomb
- Warsaw ghetto insurgent Boruch Spiegel dies at 93
- Face-chewing victim recovering, strumming guitar
- Syria opposition signals tough line on peace talks
- Algerian president leaves Paris military hospital