What Is the 7-Foot Headless, ‘Serpent-Like’ Fish Caught Off the Hawaiian Coast?
A mysterious, headless 7-foot-long fish brought in on a fishing trip that took place off the coast of Kona, Hawaii, has scientists baffled as to what exactly it is.
Fishing photographer Jon Schwartz on his blog BluewaterJon posted photos of the thin, shiny, silver fish with a “serpent-like body” last week. Schwartz explained that the fish was brought in decapitated when it was seen floating in the water by charter boat Captain Dale Leverone.
“I thought it was a car bumper, but then I remembered they don’t float!” Leverone’s son and first mate Jack said according to Schwartz.
Sending photos to Schwartz, Jack explained that it was still bleeding — he said its head had been “bitten off by a shark” — when they pulled it into the boat.
Capt. Leverone speculated that it could be an oarfish.
“I was thrilled with the notion that I might know someone who has seen an oarfish up close. Now that’s a real celebrity!” Schwartz wrote.
But it still was only speculation that it was the rare breed of fish. Schwartz contacted fishing expert Jim Rizzuto to figure out more. Here’s what they considered regarding the mystery fish:
Jim said he thought the absence of a red dorsal fin would mean it wasn’t an oarfish. Jim thought it might be a type of cutlass fish; possibly a Hawaiian ridge scabbardfish, but without the head, it was going to be hard to get a positive ID.
Rizzuto told me that they were rare enough that he didn’t have “a specific remembrance of other sightings and I have no memory of having seen one in the market”. To me that’s significant because to my knowledge, nearly everyone in Hawaii contacts Jim when they catch anything big or unusual, and it’s been that way for many decades.
Schwartz then contacted NOAA biologists who said it might be a King of Salmon. They also doubted it was a Hawaiian ridge scabbardfish due to its size.
For what it’s worth in support of the oarfish theory, Schwartz wrote that he contacted the Leverones later because they had said they planned to eat the fish. Asking them for pictures of the fillets, they told him it had become gelatinous in the refrigerator, so they didn’t end up eating it. This gelatinous consistency of the flesh, Schwartz said was consistent with some other literature he had read about the oarfish.
For now, the mystery is still out, but he wrote that NOAA said it would send image to the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in the quest to identify the creature.
(H/T: Grind TV)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,036 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 152 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 225 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 107 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Sharks hang on to beat Kings 2-1 and tie series
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Bruins rally, push Rangers to brink of elimination
- Spurs can't ease up despite 2-0 lead on Grizzlies
- Restaurant learns online reviews can make or break
- Gov't dysfunction may be baked into the system
- Bay Bowl: San Francisco to host 50th Super Bowl
- Immigration bill heads to full Senate