Biden to Give Obama Gun Recommendations by Tuesday: ‘Gun Ownership and the Type of Weapons That Can Be Owned’
Vice President Joe Biden said Thursday he will give President Barack Obama his recommendations about how to deal with gun violence by Tuesday.
Biden was tapped to lead an administration task force after a gunman shot to death 20 children and six adults at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn.
“There’s an emerging set of recommendations, not coming from me but coming from the groups we’ve met with,” Biden said during a day meeting with sportsmen and wildlife interest groups. “And I’m going to focus on the ones that relate primarily to gun ownership and the type of weapons that can be owned. And one is…a surprising recurrence of suggestions that we have universal background checks. Not just close the gun show loophole but total, universal background checks, including private sales.”
He said it was also crucial for federal agencies to be able to gather data about gun violence, including “what kind of weapons are used most to kill people” and “what kind of weapons are trafficked weapons,” according to the White House pool report.
“There has got to be some common ground, to not solve every problem but diminish the probability” of future mass shootings, Biden said. “That’s what this is all about. There are no conclusions I have reached.”
Obama vowed last month “whatever power this office holds” to prevent future mass shootings.
After meeting with gun safety groups Wednesday, Biden said the president could take “executive action” to crack down on guns. Biden was set to meet with National Rifle Association representatives later on Thursday.
Biden described himself as a shotgun owner but said he’s “no great hunter, it’s mostly skeet shooting for me.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,036 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 312 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 151 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 106 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Sharks hang on to beat Kings 2-1 and tie series
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Bruins rally, push Rangers to brink of elimination
- Spurs can't ease up despite 2-0 lead on Grizzlies
- Restaurant learns online reviews can make or break
- Gov't dysfunction may be baked into the system
- Bay Bowl: San Francisco to host 50th Super Bowl
- Immigration bill heads to full Senate