Meet the ‘Meanest Mother in Wyoming’ — Another Example of Good Parenting?
This advertisement in the Northern Wyoming Daily News is burning up the Internet and will probably end up being featured on “The Tonight Show” with Jay Leno.
The six-line ad told a powerful story:
VERY mad mother selling 16 yr. old son’s 1993 Ford Ranger. Drove 3 mos. before son forgot to use his brain and got caught driving drunk. $3500 OBO. Call meanest mother in Wyoming, 307 -2**-****.
We had to know what happened.
At first we thought the ad was too good to be true. After all, it was brought to the web by a Casper, Wyoming radio station. A dozen phone calls to the number in the ad went unanswered and the voice mailbox was full. Text messages were the only way we were able to break through and connect with Angie, the self-proclaimed “meanest mother in Wyoming.” The telephone interview that followed gave us the inside story on a used truck ad that has gone viral.
Angie is a divorced mother of two boys, 19 and 16. The youngest son is the one she said “forgot to use his brain” and ended up getting arrested for driving drunk. When her youngest turned 16, Angie bought her son the 1993 pickup truck featured in the ad. She told TheBlaze that this gift did come with a couple of conditions. He was supposed to:
- Keep his grades up
- Stay out of trouble (Angie said that her son was basically a good boy. However, he had one friend she feared might lead him astray.)
The young man was holding up his end of the bargain until New Year’s Eve.
That night, Angie was home, waiting up for her son to return from a date. When he missed his curfew (something he rarely did) she became concerned and sent him a text message. The reply she received was not typical. In fact, Angie told us that her son’s text message to her made her worry that he was intoxicated. She asked if he needed a ride home. He said “No, I’ll be home in an hour.”
Ninety minutes later, there was no sign of the boy. Like so many people, Angie’s son was caught up in the night’s revelry and ended up getting arrested for driving under the influence. The Wyoming State Police called the boy’s mother to come and get him and it was on the ride home that she decided to sell the truck to teach her son a lesson. Her ex-husband did not want her to sell the truck. She offered to let him buy it. He refused.
The next few days brought impassioned pleas from both her son and her ex-husband. Angie said that she held firm and placed the ad that ran on Wednesday in the local paper. A day later, the story hit the internet and Angie’s phone hasn’t stopped ringing.
Before the ad caught fire on the web, Angie did get a several calls from serious potential buyers, but as of Thursday night, she was still looking for a buyer.
Do you think Angie’s “tough love” parenting is appropriate or would you have given her son a second chance? Weigh-in below in the comments section and take our Blaze Poll.
TheBlaze removed the phone number from the ad.
(H/T – FM 107.9 The River)
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 504 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 469 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 389 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 387 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 327 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 202 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 139 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 101 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 124 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Milestones for Guantanamo Bay detention center
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty; retrial set
- Shelton, Underwood coming to aid of Oklahomans
- Procter & Gamble brings back A.G. Lafley as CEO
- 87-year-old woman loses to Trump in civil case
- Maine governor moves out of office over TV dispute
- 10 Things to Know for Friday
- Belmoktar claims responsibility for Niger attack