‘Shoot Him Again! Shoot Him!’: Husband Coaches Wife to Shoot Home Invader in Chilling 911 Audio
Police have released audio from a 911 call made during a home invasion in Georgia, in which a concerned husband tells his wife to shoot a lawless intruder. The mom was home alone with her twin 9-year-old children when the man broke into their home with a crowbar.
The mother, later identified as Melinda Herman, shot the man five times with a .38 caliber revolver after he cornered them in an attic crawlspace, successfully protecting herself and her two children, TheBlaze previously reported.
Herman’s husband, Donnie, was in Atlanta and remained on the phone with his wife and a 911 operator on separate line throughout the incident. The audio recording of the call was obtained by WXIA and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
NBC News provides a partial transcript of the call:
“Do you hear him? Is he in the house? He’s in the house,” Donnie Herman says.
“Melinda, if he opens that door, you shoot him, you understand.”
“She has a weapon?” asks the dispatcher. “What type of weapon?”
“She has a .38,” Donnie Herman said.
The 911 operator tells him that officers were on the way.
“She shot him. She’s shooting him, she’s shooting him.”
“OK,” the dispatcher responds.
“Shoot him again! Shoot him!” Donnie Herman yells, later telling the dispatcher “She shot him, a lot.”
Donnie Herman also talks about how he just took his wife to the gun range. “Just remember everything that I showed you,” he tells his wife.
Listen to excerpts of the audio below (first shot fired at around 2:00):
When the gun shots stopped, the terrified father waited seven minutes, which must have felt like an eternity, before he found out his family was OK, WXIA reported.
Melinda Herman later told police that she began shooting when the robber, identified as Paul Slater, opened the attic crawl space. And she didn’t stop shooting until she was out of bullets, despite the man’s pleas.
“This lady decided that she wasn’t going to be a victim, and I think everyone else looks at this and hopes they have the courage to do what she done,” Sheriff Joe Chapman told the Associated Press on Wednesday.
“Slater– who was taken to the hospital with punctured lungs, a punctured liver, and a punctured stomach– has reportedly been arrested six times since 2008,” TheBlaze reported.
Melinda Herman and her children, though shaken, were not injured in the incident.
More from WXIA:
Featured image via shutterstock.com
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 515 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 475 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 465 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 324 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 293 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 119 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 219 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 131 Comments
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- Arellano Felix drug cartel figure pleads guilty
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- Berlusconi looms large in Rome mayor election