Something Extremely Rare Happened in Jerusalem Overnight — Can You Guess What It Was?
Jerusalem is known as the City of Gold, but overnight it became a city of white, as a blanket of snow covered the holy city. Snow doesn’t fall all that often in Israel, so when it does, some interesting, unusual and beautiful photos emerge.
According to one YouTube user, Arabs and Jews dropped their guns and picked up snowballs. This video shows a snowball fight in the Jerusalem neighborhood Sheikh Jarrah. Israeli police stood nearby in case things got nasty. Eitan Shemesh who posted the video wrote it was all in good fun:
David Wilder of the Tazpit News Agency took this picture at the Cave of the Patriarchs in Hebron, where the biblical patriarchs Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and their wives are believed to be buried. Today, a snowman appears to be paying his respects at the site which is holy to Christians, Muslims and Jews.
Israeli media reported that the snow overwhelmed local services, which were unable to clear the snow fast enough from the streets. The entrance to the main Tel Aviv-Jerusalem highway was blocked Thursday morning. In Jerusalem, kids stayed home from school, bus service stopped and citizens were asked to avoid driving their cars. The Jerusalem municipality said that the six inch accumulation rendered this the biggest snow storm to hit the city since 1992.
Here’s Jerusalem’s Old City:
Here’s a nice tour of snowy Jerusalem posted by another YouTube user:
Snowplows couldn’t keep up with the challenge, and drivers were asked to stay off the road.
The kind folks over at Kings School of Media in Jerusalem allowed us access to these great shots:
Earlier this week, rains caused flooding all over Israel. Peleg Amiton of the Tazpit News Agency took this stunning photo in Shadmot Mecholah in the Jordan Valley after the rains stopped.
On Tuesday, an Israeli Defense Forces commando unit deployed a helicopter to rescue an Arab family trapped on top of their flooded home as rising waters threatened to carry them away.
On the same day, another IDF unit comprised of ultra-Orthodox soldiers used a tractor to rescue Palestinian drivers about to be overcome by the rising tide of the Nablus River.
The Book of Isaiah says (2:4):
He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore.
In a place that’s seen too much violence and bloodshed, at least for a short time, swords turned into … well, snowplows.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 579 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 516 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 493 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 384 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 312 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 266 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 149 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom