Wild Bobcat That Viciously Attacked MA Family Was Rabid
It’s official: The bobcat that attacked a Massachusetts man and his nephew on Sunday had rabies. Earlier this week, we told you about Roger Mundell Jr.’s shocking story – you know, the one in which the wild animal, which worked its way into his garage, subsequently attacked the unsuspecting family. Now, it has been confirmed that the bobcat was, indeed, inflicted with the deadly virus.
The Telegram & Gazette reports that state lab results on the dead animal were announced at Tuesday night’s select board meeting in Brookfield. Wildlife officials had already suspected that the bobcat was rabid, because of its unusually-aggressive behavior; the tests merely confirmed their suspicions.
“This is completely out of character for a bobcat, even to be in the garage in the first place,” said Tom French, assistant director for the state Division of Fisheries and Wildlife, prior to the release of test results. “It is completely consistent with an animal that may have rabies.”
After pouncing on Mundell, 53, sinking its teeth into his face and its claws in his back and holding him in what he described as a bear hug, the animal went outside and bit his 15-year-old nephew.
Watch Mundell describe the terrifying incident, below:
Luckily, the family was able to pin the animal down, then shoot and kill it with a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 before it did any more harm.
Based on recommendations from health care providers, all three individuals commenced rabies treatments immediately following the encounter — so exposure to the animal is, at this point, of no health concern.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 515 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 461 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 445 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 324 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 257 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Pakistan arrested American who was killed by drone
- Stricken Japan nuke plant struggles to keep staff
- UN chief arrives in Goma, Congo
- Report: Rafsanjani blasts Iran's rulers
- UK emergency committee meets after attack
- Simultaneous car bomb attacks in Niger
- Man shot by FBI had spoken with bombing suspect
- Father of Afghanistan cricket captain abducted