‘How Dare You’: Conservative Author Confronts Piers Morgan on Exploiting Newtown, Hands Him a Constitution in Tense Interview
Conservative author and Breitbart editor-at-large Ben Shapiro on Thursday accused CNN’s Piers Morgan of “standing on the graves of the children” who died in Newtown, Conn. in his opposition to guns.
“Honestly Piers, you’ve kind of been a bully on this issue,” Shapiro said on “Piers Morgan Tonight.” “You tend to demonize people who differ from you politically by standing on the graves of the children of Sandy Hook, saying they don’t seem to care enough about the dead kids, if they cared more about the dead kids they would agree with you on policy.”
Morgan, who has been at the forefront of the anti-gun argument on his show, reacted with outrage, repeatedly asking Shapiro, “How dare you?”
“How dare you accuse me of standing on the graves of children that died there, how dare you?” he asked.
“I’ve seen you do it repeatedly, Piers,” Shapiro said.
“Like I say, how dare you,” Morgan repeated.
“Well, I mean, you can keep saying that, but you’ve done it repeatedly,” Shapiro replied. “What you do, and I’ve seen you do it on your program, is you keep saying to folks if they disagree with you politically, then somehow this is a violation of what happened in Sandy Hook.”
Then, taking out a pocket-sized Constitution, Shapiro handed it to Morgan and said he’d like to hear his policy ideas for guns.
“I’ve brought this here for you so you can read it,” he said. “I would really like for you to explain to me what you would do about guns that would have prevented what happened at Sandy Hook.”
Morgan responded that he would like to do the same thing that Mark Kelly, husband of former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, would like to do, which is take away assault weapons. Shapiro pointed out that the majority of gun deaths in United States are caused by handguns, prompting Morgan to run down the recent shootings in Newtown, the Aurora movie theater, the Oregon shopping mall and in New York with the firefighters around Christmas, asking which weapons were used.
“The last four mass shootings in America were with assault rifles…that’s the reason, Mr. Shapiro,” Morgan said. “You can smirk at me and you can laugh at me, and you can accuse me of standing on the graves of dead children, but that’s the reason that people like me and Mark Kelly and Gabrielle Giffords want to have assault weapons like that removed from civilian hands.”
Shapiro responded that Morgan’s “passion on the issue doesn’t really justify the rationale for why you want to ban assault weapons.”
Watch the full 14-minute interaction below:
- Alex Jones Goes Ballistic Debating Gun Control With Piers Morgan: ’1776 Will Commence Again If You Try to Take Our Firearms!’
- White House Petition Calls for…Deporting Piers Morgan Over Anti-Gun Views
- ‘Answer My Question!’: Angry Piers Morgan Berates Gun Advocate Over How Many Bullets an AR-15 Can Fire in One Second (Featuring TheBlaze’s Will Cain)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 569 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 488 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 360 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 334 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 268 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 249 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 144 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- Sanabia : I didn't know spitter was against rules
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- No bail for Pa. parents in faith-healing death
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split