‘Rot in Hell, Holmes!’: Father’s Angry Outburst After Aurora Suspect’s Arraignment Postponed
The father of a woman shot to death in the Aurora movie theater massacre shouted “Rot in hell, Holmes!” during a court hearing Friday.
The man, identified as Steven Hernandez, the father of 32-year-old victim Rebecca Wingo, made the outburst after Colorado District Judge William Sylvester delayed James Holmes’ arraignment until March.
Sylvester ruled Thursday that there was enough evidence for Holmes to stand trial on charges that he killed 12 people and injured 70 others last summer, but on Friday granted a defense request to postpone arraignment so they could have more time to prepare. Arraignment is where Holmes will enter either a guilty or not guilty plea. Prosecutors opposed the delay.
The postponement angered many family members of the massacre victims, and that’s when Hernandez stood up and shouted, “Rot in hell, Holmes!”
The judge had a talk with Hernandez, who apologized and promised there would be no more outbursts. Sylvester was sympathetic.
“I am terribly sorry for your loss and I can only begin to imagine the emotions that are raging,” Sylvester told him.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 460 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 443 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 323 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 253 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Lenovo says quarterly profit up 90 percent
- Japan stocks dive after benchmark bond yield spike
- Malaysian charged with sedition, 2 more arrested
- 2011 jail breaks become political issue in Egypt
- Asia shares slide, Nikkei down 7.3 percent, as Japan bond yields rise, China factories weaken
- Japan bond yields jump following Fed comments
- Submerged structure stumps Israeli archaeologists
- Police: Car bomb kills 12 in southwest Pakistan