‘Fighting and Throwing Chairs’: Riot Explodes as Thousands Seek Housing Vouchers in Mich.
Applicants for Section 8 housing vouchers in Taylor, Michigan went wild Saturday after authorities asked thousands to return another time, CBS Detroit relates.
Apparently, somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000 turned out– some waiting in line all night– but only 1,000 vouchers were available.
CBS Detroit explains:
When it came time for the vouchers to be distributed, police said there was a mad rush for the door, with people jockeying for position to be the first inside the building. Officers tried to control the crowd, but couldn’t. Fearing the situation was more than they could handle, event organizers shut the entire thing down and turned off the lights inside the building. Witnesses say that’s when things really got ugly.
Star Lee, of Romulus, described the scene as complete chaos.
“People just don’t have order to themselves, you know what I mean? People were fighting and throwing chairs, and that’s just not necessary…”
Candice Wacasey, of Taylor, said she was frightened.
“When the lights went out, it went horrible. People started trampling over people, there was a disabled lady that was in a wheelchair, and they was trying to knock her over to get in front of her. I mean, just crazy,” she said. [Emphasis added]
And those who were willing to knock over a disabled woman for a crack at government subsidized housing certainly weren’t going to let a few kids get in the way, according to witnesses.
“There was people who was physically putting their hands on people’s childs (sic) and moving them. It was unbelievable,” Lenny Syer said.
But many were more troubled by the fact that thousands may have to forgo government assistance a bit longer.
“There was elderly, disabled people, pregnant single women. They were here for help, to get their Section 8 vouchers. It just shows you what a desperate need [there is]… some were here since yesterday,” Rhianna Rodriguez told ABC 7.
Authorities say they will examine what went wrong on Saturday to determine how to best reschedule the event.
ABC 7 has more, including interviews with a number of the attendees:
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 480 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 469 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 460 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 355 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 327 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 118 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Japanese man, 80, oldest to top Everest _ for now
- La Scala scales back on productions due to crisis
- 26 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- UN: 22 deaths worldwide from coronavirus
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup
- Pakistan arrested American who was killed by drone
- Nixon library hosts 40th reunion for Vietnam POWs
- US new home sales up 2.3 percent in April