‘Fighting and Throwing Chairs’: Riot Explodes as Thousands Seek Housing Vouchers in Mich.
Applicants for Section 8 housing vouchers in Taylor, Michigan went wild Saturday after authorities asked thousands to return another time, CBS Detroit relates.
Apparently, somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000 turned out– some waiting in line all night– but only 1,000 vouchers were available.
CBS Detroit explains:
When it came time for the vouchers to be distributed, police said there was a mad rush for the door, with people jockeying for position to be the first inside the building. Officers tried to control the crowd, but couldn’t. Fearing the situation was more than they could handle, event organizers shut the entire thing down and turned off the lights inside the building. Witnesses say that’s when things really got ugly.
Star Lee, of Romulus, described the scene as complete chaos.
“People just don’t have order to themselves, you know what I mean? People were fighting and throwing chairs, and that’s just not necessary…”
Candice Wacasey, of Taylor, said she was frightened.
“When the lights went out, it went horrible. People started trampling over people, there was a disabled lady that was in a wheelchair, and they was trying to knock her over to get in front of her. I mean, just crazy,” she said. [Emphasis added]
And those who were willing to knock over a disabled woman for a crack at government subsidized housing certainly weren’t going to let a few kids get in the way, according to witnesses.
“There was people who was physically putting their hands on people’s childs (sic) and moving them. It was unbelievable,” Lenny Syer said.
But many were more troubled by the fact that thousands may have to forgo government assistance a bit longer.
“There was elderly, disabled people, pregnant single women. They were here for help, to get their Section 8 vouchers. It just shows you what a desperate need [there is]… some were here since yesterday,” Rhianna Rodriguez told ABC 7.
Authorities say they will examine what went wrong on Saturday to determine how to best reschedule the event.
ABC 7 has more, including interviews with a number of the attendees:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 457 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 449 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 428 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 291 Comments
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 204 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 142 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 129 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Penguins rout Senators 7-3, take 3-1 series lead
- 1 child dead, 1 missing in Minn. park landslide
- Weiner launches comeback bid to become NYC mayor
- Float driver says train seemed still before crash
- Family Ties: Jarrett, Petty enter NASCAR hall
- Obama honors Carole King at White House concert
- Okla. men get video of deadly tornado overhead