Police Shoot Domestic Abuse Suspect During San Diego Screening of ‘Les Miserables’
(TheBlaze/AP) — Police shot and critically wounded a man suspected of chasing his girlfriend with a handgun after they found him hiding inside a movie theater.
Officers went to an outdoor shopping center in northern San Diego on Saturday afternoon in response to a domestic violence call, Officer David Stafford said. He said the shooting occurred inside the Reading Cinemas theater about 3:50 p.m.
No other details were immediately released.
A San Diego Fire-Rescue Department dispatcher said the suspect was taken to a hospital with life-threatening injuries.
The owner of a business next to the theater said officers told him the armed man chased his girlfriend across a parking lot. Steve Krongard, the owner of the Nickel City arcade, said police shut down the lot, checked every car leaving the mall and went from businesses to business to look for the suspect until they found him in the theater.
“There were 20 police cars blocking the entrance, then the fire truck and the ambulance rushed in,” Krongard said. “Then we saw seven cops with what looked like rifles, then paramedics went into the theater.”
U-T San Diego (http://bit.ly/VTddJw ) reports the shooting occurred during a screening of “Les Miserables.” Witnesses were evacuated from the theater.
Adrian Amante, the owner of the Home Trends store, told the newspaper that people started running out of the theater and hiding behind cars.
It was the second shooting at a San Diego County movie theater in as many days.
A concession worker suffered an arm injury when a shot fired outside a San Marcos movie theater went through the lobby window and struck her, sheriff’s officials said.
This is a breaking news story. Updates will be added.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 463 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 237 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 191 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? 102 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 123 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 104 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 140 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- Mortar lands in Congo as UN chief arrives
- Zimbabwe's president signs new constitution
- Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor over Greuel
- South Sudan warns it may shut down oil flow again
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- Czech president settles dispute over gay rights
- Vatican releases 1st report of financial watchdog
- UK eyes giving visas to 600 Afghan interpreters