Lara Logan Now Covers Dangerous Stories With ‘Valium and Red Wine’
Those who followed the “Arab Spring” revolts in Egypt in early 2011 undoubtedly remember CBS correspondent Lara Logan and the horrifying gang rape she suffered in the middle of Cairo’s Tahrir Square.
Nearly two years later, still working as a foreign correspondent with CBS, Logan has revealed how she tackled the trauma head-on after the attack, and how she now prepares herself before being sent on similarly dangerous assignments.
When Deadline asked if the emotional trauma remained with her, she replied, “I think anything that happens to you on this scale stays with you forever.” Logan continued, “Am I traumatized? Do I have bad dreams? No. And after it happened, when I got back from Egypt, I was honestly almost elated because I was so close to death and coming to terms with being gone.”
The gravity of that event contrasted today with Logan’s vibrant, vivacious demeanor and striking appearance, which belied feelings that seem to reside just below the [surface.] “I was dying in that square,” she recalled, “and I never thought I would see my children again. After I got home, for weeks I couldn’t believe I was alive.”
That she was able to muster the character, strength and survival skills to get through such an unfathomable physical and psychological ordeal seems still to surprise Logan. “You don’t realize until it happens to you that you have a choice not to fall apart,” she said. “I said, I have too much to live for.” Logan’s strength led her to approve a statement shortly after the attack that detailed how she was beaten and sexually assaulted and didn’t try to sweep the details under the carpet. She credited CBS News and president Jeff Fager for having the courage at the time “to decide not to lie about this. We weren’t going to lie about this.” [Emphasis added]
This isn’t the first time Logan has opened up about the attack, but the passage of time now allows her to discuss how she conquered the ordeal, rather than the trauma itself.
In a gut-wrenching CBS interview in May of 2011, Logan recalled how the mob — estimated at between 200 and 300 people– was “tearing” her body in “every direction” and beating her with flagpoles and sticks while raping her.
Shouting for help did nothing, she said, because her screams “turned them into a frenzy.”
Unbelievably, Logan still travels into dangerous, war-torn areas regularly. Deadline Hollywood has more on how Logan says she prepares:
“I honestly don’t think I could do it without Valium and red wine, I swear to God,” she admitted. “I just tank up the day before and I’m out the door. I couldn’t do it otherwise. I know it sounds weak. It’s the hardest thing, but I do it for reasons I truly believe in.”
The Star adds that Logan still worries about her family while traveling abroad, though.
“I wrote a book for them. I tell them why I went to certain places. If I don’t make it back I want them to understand,” she is quoted as saying.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 501 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 469 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 388 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 379 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 327 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 199 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 139 Comments
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Ago Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 100 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 124 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Fossil area closed after 2 boys die in Minn. park
- Fugitive in LA attempted-murder case held in Colo.
- Belmoktar claims responsibility for Niger attack
- Tornado took town's youngest as it swept through
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty; retrial set
- Swim coach sentenced to 7 years for sex abuse
- 87-year-old woman loses to Trump in civil case
- Sears reports bigger-than-expected 1Q loss