President Obama: U.S. Assisted in Failed Rescue of Frenchman in Somalia Friday
(TheBlaze/AP) — President Barack Obama said Sunday that U.S. forces assisted in a failed attempt to rescue a French citizen in Somalia on Friday.
The president says U.S. forces provided limited technical support to French forces leading the operation, and that America had no direct role in the assault on the compound where a French intelligence agent was believed to be held hostage.
United States combat aircraft did “briefly [enter] Somali airspace” to provide support “if needed.” However, the letter adds that “these aircraft did not employ weapons during the operation.”
French officials say the hostage is almost certainly dead after a French commando was also killed in the rescue attempt.
President Obama disclosed the U.S. role Sunday in a letter alerting Congress about the deployment of U.S. forces.
Here is the complete letter, via the Office of the Press Secretary:
According to the Wall Street Journal, the hostage had been held for more than three years in Somalia by the Qaeda-allied insurgent group al-Shabaab.
French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian added Sunday that the man was chained up, abused and moved from one safe house to another until authorities decided to stage a rescue attempt roughly one month ago.
“Extremely violent fights took place, during which everything leads us to think that [the hostage] Mr. Allex was shot dead by his kidnappers,” Mr. Le Drian related during a press conference.
The Agence France-Presse has more:
- ‘A Terrorist State at the Doorstep of France and Europe’: French Troops Drive Back Al Qaeda-Linked Militants in Mali
- Conservatives Skewer Obama for Comments at Wis. Rally: ‘Al Qaeda Has Been Decimated’
- New Explosive Benghazi Allegations: CIA Operators Told to ‘Stand Down’ During Attack as 3 Urgent Requests for Military Back-Up Were Denied
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 591 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 392 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 321 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 277 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 151 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4