Former Marine Reveals Deplorable Conditions in Mexican Prison (& How He Got Through It) in O’Reilly Interview
Former U.S. Marine Jon Hammar spoke with Bill O’Reilly Monday night after being released from the Mexican prison where he had spent more than four months on what his mother described as a “trumped-up” gun charge.
Hammar had been scheduled to speak with O’Reilly on January 4, but was unable to make it at the last minute due to health issues resulting from his imprisonment. He had been released just four days before Christmas, and that’s where the interview began.
“I’m feeling a lot better,” Hammar said in response to O’Reilly’s inquiry. “I was dehydrated, malnourished, I had a lung infection, stomach issues, a number of things…I lasted the majority of the time without getting sick, but [in] the end is when I started getting a little ill.”
The two then went over how Hammar ended up in prison, having been told by U.S. officials in Texas that he could cross into Mexico with a hunting shotgun as long as he filled out the appropriate paperwork.
When he got into Mexico, however, it was clear by the wait and bureaucracy that something was wrong.
“They didn’t let us know that we were going to jail, though,” he recalled. “They made it sound like we were just going to a place to pay a fee.”
After being detained for four days his friend was able to leave, but Hammar was eventually transferred to prison.
When O’Reilly asked about the violence Hammar faced and whether he was forced to fight anyone, the former marine responded: “I think I did alright, cause I’m alive right now. There was not much of a fight….they roughed me up a little bit, but it was quickly resolved.”
What was perhaps more difficult were the constant threats and phone calls to his family demanding money.
The U.S. Embassy was soon able to transfer Hammar out of the general population, and he began passing the time by reading.
“I read The Last Stand of Fox Company– it’s about the Marine Corps in North Korea, and I also read the Bible. I read all the whole Old Testament, and almost all of the New Testament,” he said.
Months into his imprisonment, Hammar said, he did begin to get frustrated with “all the authorities,” but was quick to say that he got out in the end.
“It worked out without anyone getting hurt,” he shrugged.
Watch the entire clip, which also includes Hammar thanking O’Reilly and others who publicized his case, via Fox News:
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 579 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 516 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 493 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 384 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 312 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 266 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 149 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom