NBA Team Installs Additional Mics in Arena to Monitor Trash Talking
Madison Square Garden in New York City has two new microphones installed at either end of its basketball court, but it’s not to pick up better sound quality of the swishes or sneakers on the floor. It’s to monitor trash talking.
EPSN.com reported sources telling ESPN The Magazine’s Chris Broussard that Knicks owner James Dolan requested the microphones be after an incident between New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony and the Boston Celtics Kevin Garnett. The after-game altercation resulted in Anthony being suspended for one game last week.
Broussard was told that these microphones are not meant to seem as if they are spying on players but more so to monitor if others were trash talking Anthony unfairly. The mics were in use during Friday’s game against the Chicago Bulls and Sunday against New Orleans and it is not clear if recording will continue, ESPN reported.
Although the Knicks would not comment on the mics, Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau said although he didn’t know about the recording equipment before the game, he didn’t consider it “that big of a deal.”
Watch ESPN’s report:
Anthony received his suspension last Wednesday after the incident with Garnett, which occurred after Monday’s game.
Anthony, who was angry about Garnett’s choice of words during a fourth-quarter altercation, went toward the Celtics’ locker room after the game and later waited for Garnett outside Boston’s team bus.
Anthony didn’t believe he would be suspended because he said he was just looking to talk to Garnett, not fight. But NBA executive vice president of operations Stu Jackson ruled otherwise.
“There are no circumstances in which it is acceptable for a player to confront an opponent after a game,” Jackson said in a statement. “Carmelo Anthony attempted to engage with Kevin Garnett multiple times after Monday’s game and therefore a suspension was warranted.”
Anthony and Garnett received technical fouls with 9:03 remaining in the Celtics’ 102-96 victory, arguing with each other from the baseline to midcourt after a physical exchange on Boston’s previous possession. After the game, Anthony went the wrong direction toward the Celtics’ locker room in hopes of finding Garnett.
On Tuesday, Anthony said he was upset because of what Garnett said, though wouldn’t elaborate on what it was.
“There’s certain things that you just don’t say to men, another man,” said Anthony, who was not penalized.
“It’s over with for me. Whatever happened last night, happened. The words that was being said between me and Garnett, it happened, can’t take that away,” Anthony added. “I lost my cool yesterday, I accept that, but there’s just certain things that push certain people’s buttons.”
Watch Garnett talk about the altercation in this clip (Note: he starts talking about the run-in with Anthony at 4:05):
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 569 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 488 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 358 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 334 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 267 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 248 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 144 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- Sanabia : I didn't know spitter was against rules
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees tragedy behind him
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Report: Yahoo, pay-TV operators among Hulu bidders
- Bayern faces Dortmund in Champions League final