Smoothie Bar Owner Charges Liberals $1 More Than Conservatives for Drinks
A small business owner in Vernal, Utah, is raising eyebrows with a controversial policy surrounding how much he charges liberals and conservatives for smoothies. George Burnett, owner of “I Love Drilling Juice & Smoothie Bar,” has implemented a price structure in which liberals pay more for their drinks than their conservative counterparts.
Burnett, an advocate who is known locally for his support of the energy market (just look at the name of his smoothie bar), has made no bones about his plans to charge liberals $1 more for their fruit-filled drinks.
“I’m very open about it, very public about it, that I’m going to charge them a little bit more, and I have liberals come in and pay the extra dollar surcharge,” he told KSL-TV.
The fee, alone, is enough to infuriate admitted leftists, but they may be even more frustrated when they learn what Burnett does with this extra $1: He donates the monies to conservative causes like The Heritage Foundation, a right-leaning think tank. Despite seeming inflammatory, Burnett claims that his goal, rather than to offend, is to spark conversations about regulatory structures and the energy industry.
“Really what I’m focused on is the fiscal differences between big government/small government and liberal ways, as far as entitlements and spending,” he told KSL. “We have a fiscal problem in this country. We’ve got to deal with it or we don’t have a country, so to kind of help make that point, just a little bit, I charge (liberals) just a little bit more.”
While some have taken to Burnett’s Facebook page to voice concern (one person called his price structure “pathetic”), others are supporting it. The business owner reports that, despite some pushback, a few liberals (he said three, so far, have paid extra) are happily doling out the difference for his smoothies.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 588 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 388 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 320 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 272 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 151 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins