Fla. Judge Dismisses Terror Charges Against Young Cleric
A federal Florida judge has dismissed terrorism support and conspiracy charges against 26-year-old Florida imam Izhar Khan, who, along with his father Hafiz Khan, was accused of funneling more than $50,000 to the Pakistani Taliban. U.S. District Judge Robert Scola ruled Thursday there was insufficient evidence to pursue the young cleric, but is still moving forward with charges against the elder Khan.
The 77-year-old imam is believed to have transferred at least — and likely more than — $50,000 to the Pakistani Taliban to fund their weapons purchases along with a children’s madrassa meant to enlist young Taliban recruits and provide shelter to active jihadist, the FBI said.
Scola ruled that Izhar Khan’s involvement in two transactions totaling $1,100 did not show he was supporting the Taliban, the Associated Press reports. Charges against another of Hafiz Khan’s sons were also dropped earlier by prosecutors.
Each of the charges against the elder Khan carry maximum 15-year prison sentences.
Three other Khan family members including Hafiz’s son, grandson and daughter, are also charged in the indictment. The four-count indictment also alleges that all six of the defendants conspired to kill, injure and kidnap people abroad.
Hafiz Khan presides over Flagler Mosque in Miami while Izhar Khan serves as imam at the Jamaat Al-Mu’mineen Mosque in neighboring Margate.
For additional context, below is a report from May, 2011, courtesy of CNN:
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 602 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 525 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 414 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 351 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 300 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 101 Comments
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- 16 children, 1 teacher die in Pakistan bus fire
- Indy 500 could be better than 2012's epic race
- Williams sisters entered in doubles at French Open
- Rescuers look for pilot in deadly NY Angel Flight
- LA stoplights synchronized but road war endures
- Kuchar finishes Colonial 2nd round still up 1
- Tornado upon them, quick choices decided fate
- Hagel: Cadets must stamp out sex assault scourge